Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Bioshock - 4-6 reviewers needed...form committee here

keep in mind that the and gpu in the 360 is better than what you have in your rig (other htan you have TWO ATI gpu's working together, but the gpu inside the 360 is a step up from the X1900 gpu, especially with the 10MB embedded DRAM right on the gpu core)

the 360 was made to run 720p w/full AA/AF enabled (1280x720). This is a requirement of all games for the 360 console (however developers do not have to enable AA, but all games have to run at least 720p).

Now that the Unreal3 engine is out in the wild, we'll see lots of refinement to it, mostly in making it look better/sharper while making it run faster (optimizations, tweaks, etc...like any game engine, once it has been out a while, it starts to look better and run better as devs get more time on it).

I'm still reeling from the 2-install call-home bs as well as lack of proper widescreen FOV (since it is proper in the 360 version)

I knew the GPU was powerfull, and certainly far better than my current gfx card but I didnt know that it was a requirement for games to run at 720p w/full AA/AF enabled....

That must be why games look a lot better at 1280x720 than most other resolutions when using the VGA cables and hooking it up to my Monitor.

the media encoder/decoder chip inside the 360 is what handles the different resolutions.

All games MUST be coded to run in 720p

however, games can be run natively in ANY resolution above 720p (we'll be seeing some 1080p games this year I think), but again, they must be coded to run minimum 720p.

the media chip in the Xbox is what upconverts/downconverts the signal.

example: Bioshock is a 720p native game (let's assume for sake of example). Me, I have my 360 set to run 1080i because my tv doesn't do 1080p nor 720p, only 480i/p & 1080i.

So when I play any game that is 720p, the media chip automatically upconverts or downconverts the signal to whatever resolution I've got the 360 set to run in the dashboard (1080i).

This was the big blow-up about Sony's PS3...it wouldn't convert properly so if a game was 720p and your tv didn't support it, it would downconvert to 480i/p instead of upconverting to 1080i like the 360 will. I assume Sony has fixed this with a firmware update by now.

Well I finished the game I thought I would give some of my feedback. Fist some updates.

1080P and wide screen work period end of story. The person that made those potos is just an attention whore. The developers codsidered difrent aspect ratios and that is the one thay decided on. They do plan a patch so you can adjust the width to your prefrence. I use a 1080P TV 1900x1080 full screen no issues.

They updated the number of installs to 5 computers 5 times. This should help. You can avoid the whole issue using steam though.

SM 2.0 support Shader model 3 was all about water effects you cant do in 2.0 without a FPS hit. Do the same effects in SM2 and the FPS on that 3 year old card is going to take too much of a hit to play well. Get a new card or just wait to play it untill you have one it will be worth it in the end.

The game: quite simply a landmark. If you play games and are OK with FPS you need to get it sooner or later end of story. The game well deserves the 10/10 rating of many game sites. No single thing is groundbreaking it is the some of all the timgs done right that is so suprising. Grapics story and setting all come together well to a level that just hasnt ben done before.

Nearly all attacks are dleiberatly misleading except the activation complaints. Once you get it installed and running it is good in XP. Those that dont have memtest and prime stable computers may face the consiquences.

The download was encrypted and many people with less than perfectly stable systems faced the consiquences. Some have soved this with replacing game files from the demo I hear. Download problems could also be at fault but this is the only real blemish all the rest of the concerns are personal prefrence.

I did have some problems using my Audigy sound card in Vista repeatedly crashing at one point at one level and but this went away after using the intigrated sound and honistly I never have got the Audigy sound card to work well in vista.

Is this game for everyone- well no it has some very adult themes to say the least. Not . but but morality and violence. Normaly I dont even pay attention to the violence but this game is so well done and immersive that it hits you hard at times. In XP there were no problems none. I have never had a computer game play this well on release- ever. No slowdowns or problems anywhere on XP. A few minor problems and slwdowns ones with with Vista but with slightly higher quality grapics.

This is also a long game with replay value. It is probibily the longest game I have played in a year or two.

My only real disapointment was that it ended.

Note new system specs played on C2d at 3.2, 2gig DDR2 and 8800GTX at stock speed. Yes they will go higher with OC but the system was not all that stressed for this game- and crashing sucks!

I'm afraid if I was going to review it (I don't have it, so I can't), I would give it a huge -50% penalty for the lame copy protection/activation/install limit.

It doesn't matter if the install limit is 5 or 50, the install limit is the problem.

I understand that Steam avoids this, but Steam doesn't come into the equation at all. This is 2k's idiotic move, and I frankly will never buy the game based on this alone.

No one, and I mean no one tells me what I can and can't do with my games (nor my OS which is why I refuse to go with Vista ever as long as that nonsense keeps up).

Sometimes we complain repeatedly about repeat incidents, but sometimes it's just time to make a stand.

Bioshock will sell well thanks to all the great reviews. However, I'm no longer interested in it at all because of the copy protection scheme, one more devious than all previous (except maybe Sony's rootkit for Starforce). That also means I'm just not interested in carrying it as a review since all I would do is blast 2k for the copy protection bit.

Bioshock however, will never get any of my money nor my gaming attention. I'm going to just wait and see what else is coming (I'm more interested in Rock Band, Fallout3, Mass Effect anyway).

ya I dig Steam, but it's the principle of the matter for me. Steam for me is Valve's games. Sounds like a double-standard but for me it isn't.

ya I dig Steam, but it's the principle of the matter for me. Steam for me is Valve's games. Sounds like a double-standard but for me it isn't.

Fare enough.

Steam is the way to go- that is how I voted before I ever heard of the crap with the DRM I hate just about all the CD based DRM. I have had enough of starforce secure rom and all the other crap I have waited for a lot of games to hit steam before buying.

Ignoring this game is like ignoring HL2 if you want to do reviews this has to be one you do or be part of the sidelines.

Feeling grouchy are we well that message is bigger than the sig it replaced.

Not feeling grouchy

As an ex-moderator, you know the drill as well as I do. Your image was almost 100kb and outside the rules. You aren't a special snowflake. You get the same rules to follow as the rest of us.

Ignoring this game is like ignoring HL2 if you want to do reviews this has to be one you do or be part of the sidelines.

this game is no HL2 in my opinion. Reviewers can crow all they want with their 9.8's and 10's but I've already played the demo on 360 and PC and it's pretty decent, but it's no HL2 for sure (to me anyway).

Standing on the sidelines is fine with me, as I refuse to promote draconian DRM/copy protection schemes, especially ones that phone-home.

Won't do it.

Can't do it.

It's a lack of integrity on 2k's part, especially when Bethesda and Relic and Stardock all have moved completely away from copy protection (and their sales? actually went up!).

Draconian measures are for you maybe, but I'll have no part of it. I advise others to have no part of it lest it become daily routine for these companies who begin to dictate how and when and how many times we can use their software.

Considering that Bioshock was a massively hyped game pre-release and by all accounts was amazing according to all sneak previews, plus the fact that the majority of folks raved over the demo and then 2K don't follow in the footsteps of Bethseda with Oblivion. Shame on them. Perhaps 2K really blew the budget on this and desperately need to recoup their money.

If you don't see this as a problem then imagine a world where you could only drive a BMW car on a BMW road. If you wanted to use some other car manu's road that's fine but after the 3rd run "your" car would be deactivated and the warranty revoked because BMW couldn't guarantee that the types of potholes and junctions you used were within their cars tolerance specification.

Would you buy one of their cars? Really would you?

As to being sidelined for not having a review of it? I don't think that's a problem here. We don't come here for the regular columns, reviews etc., we come here for the communal knowledge and advice. Also there's hardly any flaming which is especially nice.

A google search on "+bioshock +review +PC" gives over 4 million hits. Where's the quality or inclusion generated by adding one to that number?

Apologies for the rant I'm in a bad mood and have had too much sun.

Considering that Bioshock was a massively hyped game pre-release and by all accounts was amazing according to all sneak previews, plus the fact that the majority of folks raved over the demo and then 2K don't follow in the footsteps of Bethseda with Oblivion. Shame on them. Perhaps 2K really blew the budget on this and desperately need to recoup their money.

If you don't see this as a problem then imagine a world where you could only drive a BMW car on a BMW road. If you wanted to use some other car manu's road that's fine but after the 3rd run "your" car would be deactivated and the warranty revoked because BMW couldn't guarantee that the types of potholes and junctions you used were within their cars tolerance specification.

Would you buy one of their cars? Really would you?

As to being sidelined for not having a review of it? I don't think that's a problem here. We don't come here for the regular columns, reviews etc., we come here for the communal knowledge and advice. Also there's hardly any flaming which is especially nice.

A google search on "+bioshock +review +PC" gives over 4 million hits. Where's the quality or inclusion generated by adding one to that number?

Apologies for the rant I'm in a bad mood and have had too much sun.

totally agree. the only disappointment I have about it is that a lot of you guys come here FOR the community knowledge and opinions, and we all like to think our opinions mean more to us here than opinions mean to others elsewhere...and the game definitely looked promising before this nonsense.

I really just wanted to use it as a starting point to do some reviews other than hardware, but I can't be assured that I myself won't go into a 90,000 word rant on stupid copy protection, lack of widescreen proper, etc...so it's better that I sit this one out and choose something else...maybe a game that wasn't pre-hyped to jesus and back and has 9,000,000 reviews on it already.

Some low-key "hey, this is killer game you never heard about!!!" review instead?

Some low-key "hey, this is killer game you never heard about!!!" review instead?

How about a review of Need For Speed; ProStreet when it comes out 31-Oct?

In truth, the widescreen thing doesn't bother me at all. I've played the game with the FOV hack and without, and once I get immersed in the game neither is distinguishable. This game's ambience makes something like not having true widescreen somewhat moot.

And as far as the installation count protection/phone home thing-- like I said before, it was painless. It didn't bother me when I had to do it. However, it does bother me to think that I will have to call them, and they can say 'no, we're not giving you another key'. Think about that. I bought this thing for 40 bucks.... enough to fill my gas tank 1.5 times, and they can tell me when and where or IF I can install the game?