Sign in to follow this  
Terminal Vertig

Wondering if i have a bad board.

clear the cmos for 10 minutes, boots up with the sound card and net working..

im really suspecting the mobo or something here..

also noticing with speed fan that my chipset is 50C while everything else is 24-25 idle.

how hot should it be running?

Ok, sorry I kinda disappeared, I'm leaving Sunday for The Bahamas, and getting Married on Wednesday (on the beach, of course :-) so things are kinda hectic here.

I wouldn't necessarily suspect the board at this point, you're up and running just fine with only one stick of RAM installed, am I correct? What BIOS version are you running? is that the BIOS that the board shipped with? If not, you could try flashing to the latest (06/04/06) but it's risky if your system isn't stable. I'd only do so after you've successfully booted with no hiccups a few times.

50C is a high temp when you're not under load, but afaik the chipset is able to handle it no problem. Someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong I'm not completely sure!

If your board is no longer under warranty, you could try removing the chipset fan and applying new TIM to it, maybe it's just not making good contact. I doubt this will magically make your problem disappear, but it won't hurt :)

but...

My experience as a tech still tells me that the first thing you check with random/intermittent problems is the PSU. By all means, I could be wrong, and it may be just fine, but I know I'm right in that it should be the first thing checked. If you can afford to invest $15-$20 into a fairly handy little tool, go get a PSU tester and test it out.

Devices vanishing from the IRQ table and reappearing after clearing the CMOS, I would point towards the board.

50DC is on the high side for the chipset, when under load it can easiliy go up another 10DC.

However while you still have the board, remove the one memory stick and use just the other one on its own for a bit to see if you still encounter the strange behaviour.

well now its being a prick and no even posting for me, 4 red leds.

That points to cpu?

I am at a loss to say the least.

How do we continue troubleshooting?

I left the cmos on clear for a whole day, still 4 red leds.

RMA board let DFI test it for you.

If the CPU is under warranty or you know someone that can test it, that would be the way to go.

im gonna buy a new board in the meantime to test the cpu

i have been testing with a 3700+ i have around.

im getting 3leds on boot for both proccessors regardless of cmos clears.

wont post.

Unless has anything else to try, ill be rmaing the board..