How much longer will the ATX form factor hang on?

uneedav8

Guest Lavell

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that when AMD releases the 4x4 quad-core processors, it will require a new socket and form factor. When the cases are released for this new form factor, they will be full tower cases because full tower will be able to accommodate the boards in regards to better airflow. Mid-tower cases will be too small for them. That's the only change in form factors that I know of. Other than that, I believe that ATX is here to stay.

Guest navinjohnson

Until laser boards are commonplace... ATX will remain king. Man laser mobos are going to be sweet :drool:

ATX will be around for a long time yet... BTX didn't even picking up quick enough to even think of a new form factor in the near future...

you have to remember they have a LOT of hurdles to jump through to justify a new layout for a multi-million (maybe billion) dollar industry...

as far as the money they'd make... bull honkey (no offense wil) they won't make 5 hi 7 if noone buys into it... and who here has a BTX compliant case?

I read that when ATI release their 4x4 it would require them designing it around a form factor that fit in with whats available and ready to use today... there's no form factor difference between a mid tower and full tower case, just a difference between a cramped case and a roomy case. For a basic system, you could fit an ATX compliant system in a car dashboard, no problems, with ALL the latest crap. As we progress (will we? lol) we'll get more powerful and much smaller a lot faster than any of us can fathom... watch... before long, shoot, even HDD's will be a thing of the past and built in storage on the MB for an OS will be standard...

ATX has things covered for a long time yet...

or maybe I'm just drunk and rambling ;)

ever since it replaced AT systems about...7-8 years ago if I remember correctly (I remember clearly when AT was on the way out and ATX was the new thing and it was a bigger hassle than when we recently changed from 20 to 24 pin ATX psu's)

no kidding, AT to ATX was like going from a bike to a car and still trying to use the pedals the same way... lol

uneedav8, I thank you for bringing this topic up very much!!!

I recall that it was 1996 that I bought my first ATX mainboard from ASUS.

Ten years have passed since then.

I have been frustrated with the ATX specification based mainboard since the SLI & CrossFire were introduced; the reason – simply no real estate to scale. Using my 680i mainboard as an example, I have no room to squeeze the third 8800 GTX, Killer NIC and Physics cards on to it.

If the mainboard form factor is to evolve, reflecting the system builders & users’ demand (, or frustration), I suppose that major PC hardware manufacturers, especially, the mainboard manufacturers, should prepare the new mainboard form factor specifications already…*

However, I have to admit, who need the new mainboard form factor that allows more expansion slots in the average PC users market? – not many.

But I have my own ideas (dream) of the layout of the mainboard to satisfy my need for the gaming / multi-media PC. I think that you all do.

So, the DIY PC builders (I’d think that most of this forum members are) and their community should design & propose the new mainboard factor to the public standard organizations, such as IEEE, ANSI, ISO..etc?

*I was wrong. Not the mainboard manufacturers but who build the chipset have the power to design the mainboard… It is up the chipset builders’ hands (such as two big ones, AMD & Intel, relatively major ones such as VIA and SiS) to design the mainboard form factor…

The days that the normal PC users could ‘build’ their own mainboards have gone (?). At least I now understand that in reality I will not be able to invest my effort & time to ‘build’ my dream of mainboard in timely fashion... Now I wonder why I did not enroll in college of engineering, not computer science...

Thanks radodrill.

Some pics of WC 8800 GTX SLI: [“BFG GeForce 8800 GTX Water Cooled (SLI)”, page. 7, Hagedoorn, Hilbert, [ON-LINE]: 08/20/2007, http://: [url=http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/408/7/]http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/408/7/]

I looked for the 8800 GTX cards with the water-block pre-installed on the internet. I found the one that might save the two PCI slots, which are killed by the 8800 GTX cards on my 680i mainboard (I have never tried water cooling solution before); BFG 8800 GTX WC. EVGA also sells the water-cooled 8800 GTX (“Black Pearl”), but the card is not a single slot unlike the BFG WC 8800 GTX.

Using my 680i mainboard as an example again, with the graphic cards water-cooled, one more PCI card can be installed (suppose that “Killer NIC” is installed). But no PCI slot for the Physics card on the mainboard… Employing water-cooling would save some slots, but I think that the number of slots on the mainboard might not be enough yet…or I just long to have everything…