Sell My Comp For A Laptop?

justin131

Well I'm going into grade 12 and the usefulness of a laptop is becoming more and more clear. Now I refuse to buy a windows based lappie so its apple for me because I can dual boot xp on them anyways. Don't try to talk me out of a mac lappie because you wont. My question is: how much can I get for my system right now if I part it out? That includes my hard drive because I'm going to need a huge external one for my lappie to meet my (huge) storage needs. Mine is too small anyways.

So... How much you think I can sell this baby for? (in sig if you couldn't figure that out...)

Thanks,

Justin

P.S. And I guess I wouldn't need my 19inch Samsung SyncMaster 941BW either... How much will that fetch?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19" Samsung LCD = $100-ish used, maybe $150 in top condition and it was a top model and not all that old.

shipping = $20-$30 for hte monitor if you have the original box (unless you use USPS which means it might arrive in 6 weeks, or Universal Package Smashers which means it would arrive in 7-432 days and would definitely be smashed to smithereens)

I would probably ask about:

cpu - $130-140

mobo - $100

ram - $100-110 (if it is the ddr800)

video card - $150-200 (not too sure though)

PSU - $90-100

HDD - $55-60

DVD burner - $15-25?

cpu cooler - $25

May as well keep your desktop until college for when you will actually need a laptop.

Keep in mind more and more classes are banning laptop use, and they're largely useless in class anyways (except as a huge, massive, incredible distraction)

I say keep the desktop. Notes taken on paper are better remembered anyways.

The only benefit a laptop has is between class use (and most campus' have assloads of free computer labs anyways) or to print off a paper you forgot to earlier.

and the free wi-fi all over campus

I'd probably go for a laptop over a desktop in college as you can take the laptop anywhere (other than classes that ban them). I would still take notes by hand as that gets the info locked in your brain the best, but the laptop is definitely a plus over a bulky, immobile desktop when you are on the go constantly.

Gaming is a negative for the most part on a laptop, but that's what a 360 or PS3 is for when you are in school. Laptop can serve as a mobile desktop and once you are out of college, we'll be into things like Core16Duo and AMD128 or who knows what, and you'll have a degree to get a good job and build a quad-crossfire 16-core 64GB RAM gamer rig to play Quake19 and BF9

yea im also going into grade 12, just keep ur desktop and get a laptop for UNIV. laptop in high school IMO is useless, cuz u cant take it to class. its gonan be at ur desk at home (the laptop) so its gonna be just like a desktop in the end.

yea im also going into grade 12, just keep ur desktop and get a laptop for UNIV. laptop in high school IMO is useless, cuz u cant take it to class. its gonan be at ur desk at home (the laptop) so its gonna be just like a desktop in the end.

Yeah. Even if I did decide to switch right now it would take a while so I mine as well wait one more year.

and the free wi-fi all over campus

I'd probably go for a laptop over a desktop in college as you can take the laptop anywhere (other than classes that ban them). I would still take notes by hand as that gets the info locked in your brain the best, but the laptop is definitely a plus over a bulky, immobile desktop when you are on the go constantly.

Gaming is a negative for the most part on a laptop, but that's what a 360 or PS3 is for when you are in school. Laptop can serve as a mobile desktop and once you are out of college, we'll be into things like Core16Duo and AMD128 or who knows what, and you'll have a degree to get a good job and build a quad-crossfire 16-core 64GB RAM gamer rig to play Quake19 and BF9

Excactly what I was thinking. I'll stay in the upgrade game for one more year then go into laptop mode while I'm in university and then when I get back in the upgrade game I can start from scratch with a "quad-crossfire 16-core 64GB RAM gamer rig to play Quake19 and BF9". Ha! :P

Thanks guys.

P.S. You know that is only like 6 or so years down the road eh? You think we'll be up to "64GB RAM" by then? lol

I'd say by 2008 beginning of 2009 we'll have moved into the 4GB range as games like Crysis, Unreal3, etc start taxing the systems we have, and 64-bit becomes more and more the choice for gamers needing that extra edge that full 64-bit computing can offer as well as the memory count that is too limited in 32-bit Windows (but at the moment all we need is 2GB, if you need more, you need to be on a workstation that isn't running windows lol).

I don't see us running 8GB for probably another 5-10 years...but who knows, the way technology escalates, we might be hitting our 4GB stride by mid-2007 and 8GB by mid-2009. One can never guess accurately, especially with the move away from raw speed and into multiple core processing...