Sign in to follow this  
CharmedLover84

Max Temp for Chipset, and will it shut down?

Hey,

Friend that still has an NF4 chipset is wanting to know, how hot can it get before it fries, and will it shut down? His fan died and he's gotta wait for the replacement to arrive.

Keep it under 60. I have seen them start to have graphic corruption as low as 65. Guess it would just depend on the quality of that particular chip though.

Yeah, I'd worry about it if it got too far into the 60s, he could try to put any fan as close to the chip set as you can to keep it cool and it should hold up for a while.

Well he's getting that Evercool thingy that Angry recommended, he just wanted to know if it's safe to run in the mean time, I told'em unless it stays in the low 50s I wouldn't use it, just wanted to be sure.

Treat chipsets just like what they basically are; gpu chips. Achipset will hit slowdown at around 65-70, and will damage itself above 75. 90 is almost always instantly fatal. Keeping the chipset in the high to mid 50's while under overclocked load is totally normal and acceptable.