Sign in to follow this  
synergy

Freeze at Post if a Hard Drive is connected

Hello,

I've had this system running flawlessly for about 5 or 6 months, and now it's freezing at post(to the stage of showing ide and sata drives).

I've found that when I disconnect my hard drives it's able to boot(I can boot onto a cd), but if I have any sort of hard drive plugged in(IDE *or* SATA), it freezes at post again. I've now tried 4 different hard drives(two were SATA, and two were IDE), and I've even tried all the sata plugs on the motherboard, but no avail.

I've just tried a 24hour proper CMOS clear, but am still having the same problems, and have even tried flashing a few different bios versions(still doing a 8 hour proper CMOS clear after each flash), but the different bios' haven't changed anything in the land of freezing at post.

I've really grown to like this board, and would hate to leave it. I can still get a replacement/refund from NewEgg because they're out of ultra-d's, but I can't find any comparable s939 board that's still being made, so I'm willing to try alot to get this board working again, but if needed, I can also say goodbye.

PS, I didn't change anything physical, or in the bios before this problem occurred. I shut my computer off for the night, and when I turned it back on, it was freezing at the post screen. after many hours of troubleshooting, I found that it was actually by connecting any sort of hard-drive that 'causes this problem.

PS2, I forgot to add that I've also tried different cd and dvd drives, and that those work perfectly in it, while it's only the hard-drives that cause problems for me.

Any help would be appreciated,

notroosmacfan

Hello,

Where at the post screen does it hang?

After the IRQ table or at the bit where it tries to detect the drives?

If you use a IDE drive and set it to cable select,

swap a CD drive for this drive

(use same power + IDE cable that was being used on the CD drive)

What happens?

If the drive as no OS it may say NTLDR missing or appear to hang for a while after the IRQ table.

Thank you for the speedy reply. It freezes at the first post screen when it detects the drives(it actually detects all the drives, but then it freezes when it should move on to the irq tables). I've left it there for up to 30 min., but it still won't go beyond this screen if I have any sort of hard drive plugged in. This makes me believe that it has nothing to do with the OS, or even the hard drives.

I just did what you suggested(and even had only this hard-drive plugged into the same cable, and nothing else IDE or SATA plugged in), but it still won't get past that post screen.

It seems that I can plug in any amount of disc drives I want...even sata drives, and it will get past this screen, but if I plug in a hard-drive, it freezes here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Have you switched the cables for known good ones?

Are the drives still in RAID config? You could try breaking the array and recreating it (exactly the same obivously, without deleting data from the drives)

If you are able you might want to try with another drive which isn't part of the array (or if you are happy to zero a drive, break the array, zero the drive and test that). Do you still get the issue?