New Rig - Suggestions

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

Guest r3d c0m3t

My birthday is coming up next month, and I'm considering a rather unique upgrade which primarily consists of the Core 2 Quad Q6600, the ASUS P5B-Deluxe, and RAM of some that I haven't decided upon yet. However, I'm torn between two options; I have the upgrade route, and I have the game route. Halo 3 comes out next month on the 28th, as well as PGR4 on the 11th I believe. I don't know which direction to head in, to be honest I'll only be using the Q6600 for gaming, overclocking, and folding. I might do some encoding and such, but not much of it.

While both are worthwhile, I'm not sure which direction I want to head in as I've mentioned, the upgrade route will be able twice as expensive (which I don't mind), but the games are just as worthwhile, not to mention my 360 has been going through a serious lack of attention these past few months.

So, suggestions are always welcome.

Well you could compromise on the cpu and get a dual core + the games. I mean yeah the quad would be friggen sweet and I plan on getting one here soon as well but do you really need it? A E6600 or E6750 or whatever would be a good choice as well.

Guest element

I'd suggest hanging around with that pair of X1900's. If you really need something shiny get a HD 2900XT. Or conversely a 8800GTX.

Even then personally I would wait out the major changes ahead, with true performance numbers on DX10 out at the end of the year you can make a better informed choice. Since you can afford to wait with the current rig you have I would wait till a mid range comes out that is worthy :)

Well you could compromise on the cpu and get a dual core + the games. I mean yeah the quad would be friggen sweet and I plan on getting one here soon as well but do you really need it? A E6600 or E6750 or whatever would be a good choice as well.

He wouldn't save much in the long run by doing this, the Q6600 is only like $200-something.

I'd go for the games, myself, especially since you want to use it for gaming, and the CPU doesn't make a ton of difference.

My birthday is coming up next month, and I'm considering a rather unique upgrade which primarily consists of the Core 2 Quad Q6600, the ASUS P5B-Deluxe, and RAM of some that I haven't decided upon yet. However, I'm torn between two options; I have the upgrade route, and I have the game route. Halo 3 comes out next month on the 28th, as well as PGR4 on the 11th I believe. I don't know which direction to head in, to be honest I'll only be using the Q6600 for gaming, overclocking, and folding. I might do some encoding and such, but not much of it.

While both are worthwhile, I'm not sure which direction I want to head in as I've mentioned, the upgrade route will be able twice as expensive (which I don't mind), but the games are just as worthwhile, not to mention my 360 has been going through a serious lack of attention these past few months.

So, suggestions are always welcome.

for your rig, ALL you need is really 2GB of RAM. You got a dual core 4400, you got X1900XT Crossfire, what else do ya need? Nothing.

Just upgrade to 2GB of RAM and then spend some money on your Xbox360 lol.

Get Uno and Carcassonne and play on Live with me (Angry Losers)

Guest r3d c0m3t
for your rig, ALL you need is really 2GB of RAM. You got a dual core 4400, you got X1900XT Crossfire, what else do ya need? Nothing.

Just upgrade to 2GB of RAM and then spend some money on your Xbox360 lol.

Get Uno and Carcassonne and play on Live with me (Angry Losers)

An enticing decision, but I think I like it, any possible way of finding DDR600? :sweat:

If not, I hope Newegg still has the Crucial sticks I have.

you aren't going to find, nor NEED DDR600 2x1GB.

you don't even need more than the stock speed of the 4400+ you have already since you have Crossfire. Just find a kit of PC3200-PC4000 2x1GB and be done with it.

I've got 6x1GB PC4000 (2GB Corsair UCCC, 4GB Ballistix) if you want to buy some, but the old DDR1 2GB kits that overclock (PC4000 or better) are going to be at a premium price these days ($150 and up)

or you can just go with another 2x512 ;)

Guest InFeKtioN

Yeah ..... I have to agree with these guys. Upgrade to 2gig RAM and go for the games. Then save some more and go big at the end of the year.

No real reason to spend your money on a lateral move ....... your system should do the job.

PS. Remember to sign up for the DIY Fantasy Football League !!! Draft is Sat, Sep 1st

See SIG.