Sign in to follow this  
OtisN89

Boot failure after hard drive replacement

I just RMAed a hard drive in my rents computer because it kept giving a boot disk failure message at startup. It worked for about 2 weeks and now its doing the same thing, I find it hard to believe thats its the hard drive, but can't think of what other component it would be, I'm thinking about RMAing the motherboard, what do you think?

ha yeah, not the same rig anyway, actually a asus A8NX5 (i think), with a . psu, but it runs stable, just doesn't boot sometimes

I don't have problems with it but krazypoloc seems to suggest that the voltage may have slight variations or "ripple" but i'm not sure what he meant or if he was serious about that part.

No it was a big thing a while back about the gamexstream's. i was making a joke. :) But if you are running it on another rig it would be good to post your rigs specs so we can try and troubleshoot the problem. I'll tell you right now though. If it isn't just your luck in getting 2 bad drives in row, then it is most definitely your PSU. Its the only component that interfaces directly with your drives that would have enough power to do any damage.

yeah, i don't get how a hard drive would fail at boot, but the cpu runs at 100% if the PSU is the problem, but just incase any of this matters heres the specs:

ASUS A8NX5

amd athlon 3200+

2x512mb of kingston value ram

a 7300gs

WD Sata drive

and like i said a crap psu

I'll try it with my gamexstream just incase

Guest Booger

If u haven't already, u might make sure your memory's healthy. Had a bad stick of generic stuff on my first build that went south and corrupted the hard drive just often enough to nearly make me throw it out the window. MEMTEST found it when i got my wits back and had replaced nearly everything thing else in the system. HTH

I threw my GameXstream in it and it worked so I got a new Antec Earthwatts 430w and everything's good so far, thanks for your help guys.