Xbox Down? What's Your Experience Been?

Guest Blooz1_merged

I have no Issues with my 360, and I bought it Feb 2006. The only slight issue I have is that really rarely, like maybe once a month while playing a game it will freeze, but then I just have to reboot it and it's all good.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a 360 in Sept of 2006...In late January of 2007 it ate up FIFA 07. The disc could no longer be read, the console proceeded to open and close the disc drive, without me prompting it to do so...

I called up "Steve" in India and he hooked me up with a copy of PGR in return for my ruined copy of FIFA, and I took the console to Best Buy got it replaced and I have been pretty lucky sense...No issues for almost 8 months.

well now that I've had a few more days to actually play real games (instead of just Xbox Live Arcade stuff), I can tell you that...this brand new console built on July 24th, 2007, is just as big of a piece of . as my original 360 that got sent off to be repaired.

it still overheats, and worse, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 5+ minutes to read off the hard drive (all 360's are piles of crap about reading from the hdd since Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the hdd optional, so now everytime you got to write something to the drive, the machine has to do a check to #1 verify you have a hard drive, and #2 make sure you are signed into your damn Xbox Live account properly or it won't let you save, load, etc....WTF???? MY ORIGINAL XBOX TOOK LIKE 3 SECONDS TO READ/WRITE ANYTHING TO THE HDD...!!!!), and it freezes up during dvd and wmv playback as well as now about 4 times in games (real games on a dvd).

Honestly...if this is the best Microsoft can do, I'm done with their idiotic nonsense. PS3 has it's share of problems but seriously...it can't be this bad.

I dont even have XBOX live and it lets me save, load......

I dont even have XBOX live and it lets me save, load......

probably why you don't have issues. Once you are hooked into Live, it somehow requires that you are always connected to be able to read off the hdd quickly (or at all), dumb stuff like this.

case in point, here's something I can repeat over and over:

1. put a 160GB drive in a USB2.0 enclosure, format it FAT32 with Win98 disc.

2. plug into Xbox360

3. don't sign into live = 360 won't even recognize it

4. sign into live = blammo now my removable media is recognized and will play

I thought at first it was just me or a glitch, but for the last 6 days now this has happened every single time (multiple times a day sometimes as the 360 will freeze up during a movie/vid/game and so you have to turn it all the way off and back on again and wait to sign into Live).

It simply won't even detect my external drive nor my flash memory drives unless I'm signed into Live. Once I sign into live, it makes a little chime that lets me know the external drives are available and then I can use them.

really starting to piss me off.

oh and I know for sure that when my upload is being used for torrent or pictures or something, whenever my internet is slow (this happened both at this new house as well as the old one in Boise), it takes FOREVER to read anything off the hdd's.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is. When I'm not using any internet, it still takes 10-30 seconds just to read a saved game file, but when my internet is busy, man it can take a couple of minutes just to read a save file. Imagine in NHL 2k7 where I have to load profiles, rules, saved games, then strategies...I've waited over 10 minutes just to load those 4 files before...

• 1 month later...

Had 1 go down on me but that was more my fault. Had it on top of my DVD player with no airflow. My second unit has been working great almost a year now. None of my friends have had a single problem with there's.

Copied from the "Vertical vs Horizontal" Thread...

My Xbox 360 Console History

=====================

Purchased Console1, December 2005 (Launch)

Console1 rendered inoperable by Fall 2006 Dashboard Update

RMA'd Console1 and received Console2

Console2 dies within 2 weeks, games freeze 15 minutes in

RMA'd Console2 and received Console3

Console3 never works. 3LOD from the moment I received it

RMA'd Console3 and received Console4

Console4 seems to work!

Praise god, if he exists

Won Console5 from a work event

Sold Console4 while still working

Console5 dies after a month, 2LOD (overheating)

Sent Console5 away for RMA, Bought Console6 (Elite)

Received Console7 from RMA to replace Console6

Console7 seems to work

Sold Console7 ASAP

=====================

Console4 has since been RMA'd once

Console7 has since been RMA'd twice

So far no problems with my Elite (Console6)

Total RMAs: 7

Defective Consoles: 7 (by Serial)

Total Days without Xbox: 73

Total Business Days: 56

Total days paying for Xbox Live without actually getting to use it: 73

Total Compensation from MS: 0

EDIT: I should point out that no, I don't kick my console, and nor do I live in a tropical climate. None of these failures are due to my negligence or ambient atmospheric conditions. In every case, I unpacked my console and placed it oh-so-gingerly on a 1.5" tall steel grid rack. The rack is designed for putting hot pans/pots on, so allows air to flow ever-so-pleasantly all around the console. I never once moved my console while it was on, dropped or otherwise injured it. The temperature in my house is highly regulated, and - since I like it cold - stays at 18 degrees C in the summer and 23 degrees C in the winter. I actually keep the computer room a few degrees colder, thanks to multi-zone climate control.

I just recently got the new Halo 3 edition console, which contains the new 65nm chips, and it is roughly 50% quieter, and I can now hold my hand behind it without searing my flesh. Perhaps ironic, but now - a full 2 years later - the xbox is probably working like it should. :eek2: