Can the plane take off?

kccustom

Alright, I get what you guys are saying.

It can fly off the damn thing.

It's easiest to think of it with a jet. The engines start and essentially the damn thing moves forward, regardless of what it's sitting on (pavement or conveyor belt).

The only way the plane doesn't fly is if it doesn't move right? So the conveyor would have to move in such a way that the plane stays stationary. Except it doesn't matter how fast the conveyor goes, it's only turning the wheels on the plane at a faster rate, the plane still just goes forward.

It's harder to imagine a prop plane doing the same thing, though presumably it would.

God, talk about beating a dead horse. *sigh*

You Got it!

Same is true for a prop; the only difference is the prop pulls the aircraft through the air, while a jet uses an air stream to push the aircraft through the air.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not sure if I'm convinced the plane would move forward or not. I think we need to call Mythbusters and see if they can test it.....plus Kari is hot lol

LOL; it'd be one hell of a project to build the necessary conveyor, even if they're testing it with a Cessna.

A build that large would be ridiculous. i know it isn't the same as a full sized aircraft but they could maybe set up something with a jet powered (or prop powered) rc plane, otherwise i doubt we'd ever see it.

A build that large would be ridiculous. i know it isn't the same as a full sized aircraft but they could maybe set up something with a jet powered (or prop powered) rc plane, otherwise i doubt we'd ever see it.

Agreed, otherwise you'd need a conveyor just as long as the runway necessary for takeoff....be quite the project for a real plane.

Here's a good candidate for a test plane:

Painted%20Airplanes%202.jpg

A few more pics here http://cemrweb.cemr.wvu.edu/~wwwflt/pictures.html

Sadly I wasn't able to find any really good high-res images of them.

It's a fleet of 3 R/C YF-22s built here @ WVU to test stability controls and autonomous formation flight.

I've actually seen them fly and they're fantastic.