Sign in to follow this  
KnightMetal

will a pentium 3 550mhz take a 1ghz pent III

will a pentium 3 550mhz take a 1ghz pent III

um

no

......they are both the same pga 370 slots

...but ok, u know more about it than me... :)

another intell mobo question, i recently got a 20 pin psu converter to convert it to 24 pin, now cant get the computer to come on...

suggestions??

i recently got a 20 pin psu converter to convert it to 24 pin, now cant get the computer to come on...

suggestions??

Don't use those converters; if the MB has a 24-pin header you should be using a native 24-pin PSU.

so...you are NOT asking if a 550Mhz P3 will beat a 1Ghz P3

instead you are asking if a 1Ghz P3 will fit into the same socket as a P3 550Mhz?

you should be more clear on the questions you ask

if your P3 550Mhz is a slot1 then no, because the P3 1Ghz was a socket 428 or something (not a slot)

don't use slot converters either

psu: don't use converters on these either to make your psu a 24 pin if it was originally a 20-pin.

you can down-convert from a 24-pin to a 20-pin however.

Hey knight if you need some parts I have a boat load of old slot stuff al well as old processors, motherboards, PSU's, sdram, you name it. Just let me know what you need.

It depends on the CPU interface (Slot 1 or Socket 370), chipset, and possibly the BIOS version. You can try using CPU-Z, Everest, etc. to find your motherboard make/model then do some research on whether it will support the new CPU. Sometimes the latest BIOS revision will add support to later/faster processors as well.

Hey knight if you need some parts I have a boat load of old slot stuff al well as old processors, motherboards, PSU's, sdram, you name it. Just let me know what you need.

Sure, believe me - I need it... I am on a 550mhz now running xp with 384 ram.

I just need to build something above a 1ghz. whatever it takes, i can put it 2gether, believe it or not :)

Well download Belarc advisor and post your findings when you figure out what you are working with. Its a diagnostic utility, and will tell you everything you need to know about your Hardware/Software.

Well download Belarc advisor and post your findings when you figure out what you are working with. Its a diagnostic utility, and will tell you everything you need to know about your Hardware/Software.

Ok, sorry, I was gone for awhile - I was at the pycho ward. :)

I will get back to you 2morrow. I do need help, b/c I am running on an old DELL 550 mhz and IT SUCKS!

:mad::sad::confused::eek:

so...you are NOT asking if a 550Mhz P3 will beat a 1Ghz P3

instead you are asking if a 1Ghz P3 will fit into the same socket as a P3 550Mhz?

you should be more clear on the questions you ask

if your P3 550Mhz is a slot1 then no, because the P3 1Ghz was a socket 428 or something (not a slot)

don't use slot converters either

psu: don't use converters on these either to make your psu a 24 pin if it was originally a 20-pin.

you can down-convert from a 24-pin to a 20-pin however.

i thought if he was asking if a 550mhz would beat a 1ghz also

i thought if he was asking if a 550mhz would beat a 1ghz also

my p3 550 is one of those "slide in" slots, whatever # that is. and the p3 1000mhz is not a slide in. It did fit, so i tried it, I REALLY *HAVE NOTHING* to lose, but it wouldnt do anything after power-on.