AMD Upgrade, need some ideas

Bobo Balinski

We have a socket 939 DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra D with a AMD Venice 3200+ cpu.

What is a good value CPU for an upgrade?

How does the FX compare to the X2?

BBB

Guest Modulok

I just upgraded from an Opteron 148 (2.2ghz single core) to an Opteron 185 (2.6ghz dual core) and it is great.

I got mine used from a seller at 2cpu forums. He is selling another for $160 shipped but it is pending to someone else. I would look for deals like that, it is the best and last upgrade for your 939 system.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=84420 - the link to the other Opty 185 FS post. Might get lucky if the pending buyer backs out.

well, an x2 3800 is like $50 now. value wise (and over-clock) they are a great chip. I had two prior to my fx-60. one was a toledo and the other was a manchester. both over clocked about the same, but the toledo core gave better ram over-clocks and better latency.

So the Opteron 185 will work in this MB, and that is the end of the road....

Can I put any socket 939 in this MB?

I noticed that there are not many 939's selling new (11 at Newegg), including the Opteron 185 for $235 and a X2 3800 for $64.

I did not consider getting a used one, that makes sense I suppose.

How does the FX compare to the X2?

I'd get either an Opteron 165 or 3800 X2. They are the cheapest dual core 939 cpu's and they will all easily OC to 2.6mhz+

I think you mean 2.6GHz :D

Yeah; no need to get the most expensive CPU since S939 is being fazed out. Get one that'll be enough to hold you through till the next time you build a new rig.

2.6mhz sounds like underclocking....

We haven't tried the overclocking gig yet, seems to run so fine I am a bit nervous to tamper with it. What would be a safe bet in the OC world?

It is amazing to see that we have 11 CPU options for an obsolete motherboard - only in America.

I appreciate your ideas on the value options.

My son is going off to college (1st year Purdue engineering) in a couple of days. He says he needs the upgrade because of all of the heavy CAD work he'll be doing. Am I a sucker or what???

Guest Modulok

wait till he says he needs a openGL video card...:eek:

get a 2.4 or 2.6 dual core and he won't have problems for all 4 years of college...but you might want to get a quadro video card for that CAD work. It would help to find out which programs he will be using.

For Solidworks 2007, I chose the QuadroFX 560 128mb for our designers. Here is a good chart to decide which card and application benchmarks fit your needs.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

well, an x2 3800 is like $50 now. value wise (and over-clock) they are a great chip. I had two prior to my fx-60. one was a toledo and the other was a manchester. both over clocked about the same, but the toledo core gave better ram over-clocks and better latency.

3800+ X2 = best bang for the buck if you want dual cores

avoid FX chips unless you find a killer price on them as they are simply not worth the money.

I currently have a 3800+ X2 and couldnt be happier with it. The first day I slapped it in, I changed the FSB to 250, and moved my HT multiplier down to 4x (I have PC 4000 RAM) and BAM, everything worked! It overclocked to 2.5 Ghz on STOCK voltage. Thats right STOCK voltage. I even undervolted (I dont think thats a word...well, it is now!) it down to 1.25 Volts and it booted into windows. Not very stable though. Currently it is completely stable at 2.5 Ghz and 1.3 volts. It runs nice and cool (does not get above 40C if I have the CPU fan on. I havent seen it above 45C with the fan turned off). I am using the Scythe Bat. An Awesome cooler that cost me $15 and gave me almost the same result as water cooling. I dont think they make it anymore, but if you can find it pick it up! Anyways, the 3800 X2 is an Amazing processor!