Sign in to follow this  
ReelFiles

Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista SP1 Pre-BETA Released

I just gave SP3 another go, and just had to do a fresh install of XP as it killed the last one.

I had another small partition I left after my windows partition so I reinstalled XP onto that and went back in to check the first partition and it looks like the My Docs folder was deleted, weird. The PC would just boot until the logo disappeared just before the cursor would appear and then it would blue screen every time.

I also had a secure zone I setup from acronis and that didn't work either, it couldn't find the partition at all. I didn't loose really anything as I only keep a small partition for windows and everything else but drivers go on other HDD's, but it was quite a bad reaction to SP3

The last time i tried it I had the odd blue screen but it never refused to boot completely and I haven't seen any other people with said issue, damn gremlins at work.

I guess I broke my own rule to "Stay away from betas"

I just gave SP3 another go, and just had to do a fresh install of XP as it killed the last one.

I had another small partition I left after my windows partition so I reinstalled XP onto that and went back in to check the first partition and it looks like the My Docs folder was deleted, weird. The PC would just boot until the logo disappeared just before the cursor would appear and then it would blue screen every time.

I also had a secure zone I setup from acronis and that didn't work either, it couldn't find the partition at all. I didn't loose really anything as I only keep a small partition for windows and everything else but drivers go on other HDD's, but it was quite a bad reaction to SP3

The last time i tried it I had the odd blue screen but it never refused to boot completely and I haven't seen any other people with said issue, damn gremlins at work.

I guess I broke my own rule to "Stay away from betas"

No problems on my rig!

Yeah I have done a few googles and not that many people have had any problems with it at all, infact it was the lure of the little performance boost that made me try it again.

I just don't know what the problem could have been, I have style XP running so I thought it might be a conflict there trying first to use a theme that wasn't supported but I had Syle XP running the last time too but the theme just didn't get applied.

I only noticed the My Documents folder was gone as I was looking for it on the first partition to get the player saves for most of my installed games before I re-formatted it.

Its a pickle:confused:

Sorry to hear you had issues Branjo.

I'm using SP3 on 3 machines without problems.

Gonna load Vista tonight and try SP1.

Last 3 times I tried loading SP1 it borked the bootup.

The damn silly thing is, before I do anything drastic I ask myself do I really need to do this and most times I say "not really" and then I go ahead and do it and mess something up lol.

The wife sees me in the early hours with discs everywhere again and says you messed it up again didn't you, and I said no this time it was that bastard bill gates, he hates me, so she rolls the eyes and goes back to bed..... I hate being predictable.

Ah well there is nothing like a fresh PC it was time to do it anyway.

No issues here either with SP3 on any of the boards I have it on. The downside is I'm still looking for that 10% performance increase people keep talking about.

No issues here either with SP3 on any of the boards I have it on. The downside is I'm still looking for that 10% performance increase people keep talking about.

one machine runs a LOT slower (noticeably) with SP3

the other is like Branjo's...a machine that was stable for 6+ months and never had a single issue now either won't boot all the way to windows or BSOD's constantly....yet when I go back to XP SP2 installer, it works perfectly fine...re-install fresh with SP3...xxxxing BSOD if it even boots all the way to the desktop (the BSOD comes about 60 seconds after hitting the desktop)

gotta love MS

oh by teh way Carl, already got SP1 for Vista on my Vista64 partition...heh...hope you weren't expecting Jesus to come and walk on your water cooling and touch the OS and make it healed like the lepers and prostitutes of Jerusalem...because it ain't xxxxing happening.

Vista = Vista w/Sp1

what?

yeah

it's the same .

same 900MB bloated boot

same 100+ services running in the background that are completely and totally unecessary (and add to that 900MB RAM bloat)

games and software of course still don't work properly, and now I can't tell if it's piece of . Vista that never has let them work properly, or if SP1 broke them...either way, Vista still sucks the sweaty, moldy balls of a dead horse rotting in the sun.

it really makes me sad...I was excited for Vista...

Yep neither sp1 for Vista or SP3 for XP worked good enough for me, tried both multiple times on different rigs and went back to XP SP2 on all of them.

Yep neither sp1 for Vista or SP3 for XP worked good enough for me, tried both multiple times on different rigs and went back to XP SP2 on all of them.

Sadly this is what I will do his week! Vista runs just fine for 24/7 use but some games are just unplayable on it and I got 4G of ram! I think I out it back in the box for another year! He he!

I've been running XP SP3 on my main rig and several of the last fresh installs and reinstalls I've done on customer rigs. Absolutely zero problems save DCOM and RASMAN errors in the Event Viewer. Fortunately the errors haven't created any problems with network connectivity or any of the apps being used so far. I'll keep crossing my fingers. SP3 stand alone saves a ton of time on Windows Updates and I appreciate that immensely.

We're still talking about what....BETAS? Here.....

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 5512 RTM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Window...inal_d4323.html

Download pending 316.5MEG and getting only @45k <----Not nice...

Oh yeah...

@Branjo, there is a new beta bios "F12" for our boards, not sure if you have tested it or even going to download it, but keep me up-to-date. :)