Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista SP1 Pre-BETA Released

ReelFiles

Guest r3d c0m3t

I just found out about this a few minutes ago, and I were wondering if anyone knew anything about the upcoming plethora of updates. I know there was a beta issued to users sometime during Sunday, and Windows X mentions that it may borrow a few of Vista's features.

I'm pretty interested in knowing what MS is, or what they're considering bring to the third build.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merged your thread with this one rc,

..Contrary to popular belief, Windows XP SP3 does ship with all-new features - not just patches and hotfixes, most of them backported from Windows Vista:

* New Windows Product Activation model: no need to enter product key during setup. Thank God for that!

* Network Access Protection modules and policies have been brought to XP after being one of the more-well-received features in Windows Vista. You can read more about NAP here.

* New Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module - the Windows XP SP3 kernel now includes an entire module that provides easy access to multiple cryptographic algorithms and is available for use in kernel-mode drivers and services.

* New “Black Hole Router” detection - Windows XP SP3 can detect and protect against rogue routers that are discarding data.

Windows XP SP3 is compatible with all versions of Windows x86, included Embedded, Fundamentals, Start, Professional, Media Center, and Home Editions.

Windows XP SP3 now contains 1,073 patches/hotfixes, not including those in previous service packs. Of the 1,073 included updates, 114 are for security-related issues. The remainder are updates to performance & reliability, bugfixes, improvements to kernel-mode driver modules, and many BSOD fixes...

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-xp-s...lysis-included/

And of course the 'Thurrott link' This guy knows his stuff and is my first stop for info on the subject.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp

• 4 months later...
Okay, Microsoft just release the RC2 for Service Pack 3. If you have the RC1 installed, you'll need to remove it before trying this registry hack from Microsoft . I'll be the 1st ginnie pig...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

If its build 3300 which I believe it should be, I've been running it and seems fine, I have it on a slipstream install. I dont notice anything faster compared to sp2 but who knows

Guest SuppA-SnipA
Okay, Microsoft just release the RC2 for Service Pack 3. If you have the RC1 installed, you'll need to remove it before trying this registry hack from Microsoft . I'll be the 1st ginnie pig...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

2nd Ginnie pig, ill install sp3 on my foxconn later today ;)

and vista sp1 is done, the RTM is already on TechNet for subscribers

I slipstreamed SP3 for XP into my last installation and so far everything has been peachy.

Man, it was nice not having 3000 Windows Updates and Hotfixes (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little). After SP3 I had exactly one update, and that was it.

Man, it was nice not having 3000 Windows Updates and Hotfixes (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little).

Nah, not exaggerating at all :eek:

I formatted about 2 weeks ago and fell asleep during the update.

After i got up and running, i made a slipstream disc and reinstalled (i think it was build 3228). I screwed up one of my slipstreamed apps though, so with the newer sp3 build out now, i can remake that disc.

Hey got a great tip/solution for you guys with SP3, I guess I'll post it here. If you have a program like I did that wont install on SP3(like Pinnacle Studio 11 in my case for some reason had to have SP2, and would abort the install.). A guy helped me out over on MSFN and posted the solution. Change these 2 reg settings and then install the program(restart 1st of course).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion]

"CSDVersion"="Service Pack 2"

on this one it should currently say "Service Pack 3,build v.xxxx" you can just change the 3 to a 2 because even if you delete the build number it will show back up but it dosent matter.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlWindows]

"CSDVersion"=dword:00000200 or when you go to edit "200"

on this it should currently say "00000300" when you edit change it to "300". Also it has a "(768) and when you change it it wil be"(5xx)" dont worry about this as when you change it back by editing all is good

*restart required*

So the software will think its sp2. Then in my case I just changed it back after the successful install and restarted again, works like a dream. I'm not sure but some progs may require it to be left this way as SP2 to run?