Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista SP1 Pre-BETA Released
Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:03 AM
Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:29 AM
I was just on Paul Thurrott's site, gotta say this guy is usually pretty good with his info.
Q: What features will Vista SP1 include?
A: While the full feature-set of Windows Vista SP1 is currently unknown, we do know that the following features will be included, based on my own discussions with the company and on its public statements about the release:
1. A collection of previously-released and new security fixes, bug fixes, and other updates.
2. A major update to the Windows kernel to bring the Vista kernel (version 6.0) up to date with the version in Windows Server 2008 (version 6.1).
3. A change to the Kernel Patch Protection ("PatchGuard") feature in the Vista kernel that prevents security companies like McAfee and Symantec from integrating as tightly with the OS as they could in previous Windows versions. This will include a set of APIs aimed at helping developers write code that interacts with this security feature.
4. A change to Vista's Instant Search feature that will allow third party desktop search product makers to more closely integrate their products with Windows Vista. In the initial shipping version of Vista, the Instant Search indexer still runs at full speed even if a third party product is installed, reducing overall system performance.
And folks, that's it. If you've read about any other SP1 features, you've been reading unsubstantiated rumors. If and when more SP1 features are revealed, I'll add them to this FAQ.
Q: Any word on when Microsoft will ship the much-need Media Center update?
A: No, when I last spoke with the Media Center team, I was told that Microsoft shipped a Media Center update every year around the holiday season and they would try to keep doing that. At the time, SP1 was expected by late 2007, so the delivery schedule made sense. Right now, it's unclear if the Media Center update will ship out of band by itself to Vista users this year or as part of a set of related updates (like "XP Reloaded" from 2005) later on.
Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:43 AM
P.S. I thought that the ati 2900xt was DX10.1 compliant?!?!?!?
AMD 1090T BLACK EIDTION @ [email protected] @ (16X200) stock
8gig's corsair vengeance 1600 (2 x 4gig) running 1600 @ 8-8-8-24-41-T1 @ 1.60v
XFX 6850 & MSI 6850 NOT running in crossfire at the moment
corsair TX750M psu
120gig mushkin enhanced callisto deluxe sataII
2X WD 640gig Black 1.20TB in raid 0 64k
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:57 AM
At this point in its development, SP1 comes installed with four updates:
* Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB936330)
* Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB937286)
* Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB937287)
* Update for Microsoft Windows (KB938371)
Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB936330) contains 133 individual packages and is by far the biggest of the updates, so will probably be the service pack as we think of it. It is applied to the following Vista components:
* BLB Client
* Branding Ultimate Client
* BRCpl Basic/Premium/Pro & BRCpl Basic/Premium/Pro Language Pack
* Capture Wizard
* Client Features
* CodecPack Basic Encoder/Package
* Desktop Manager
* DFSR Client Edition
* Disk Diagnosis
* Fax Client (for all versions of Vista)
* Group Policy Client Extensions / Client Tools
* Help Core Client
* IIS WebServer AddOn (38 packages are devoted to this component)
* IIS WebServer (another 18 packages for this component)
* Indexing Service
* Media Center / Media Format / Media Player
* MobilePC Basic/Premium/SideShow
* MSMQ Client
* NetFx3 OC
* NFS Client
* Offline Files
* Optical Media
* Parental Controls
* Peer-to-Peer AdHoc Meetings / Full
* Photo Basic/Premium
* Previous Versions
* Printing Foundation / Printing Premium Tools / Printing XP Services
* RDC (Remote Desktop Connection)
* Remote Assistance
* Removable Storage Management
* Secure Startup
* ServicingBaseline (for all versions of Windows)
* Shell Inbox Games / Premium Inbox Games
* Simple TCP
* SNMP Package
* SUA (Subsystem for UNIX Applications)
* System Restore
* TabletPC OC
* Telnet Client / Telnet Server
* Terminal Services Command Line Tools / Misc Redirection / USB Redirector / WM Provider
* Windows Foundation Language Packs
* WMI SNMP Provider
* WMP Network Sharing Service
* MSSSVC Rules (for all versions of Vista)
* Server Help (for all versions of Vista)
Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB937286) contains 28 packages. The bulk of the updates are applied to the Windows Help Core Client, but it also affects client packages for:
* Windows MobilePC (Basic, Premium, SideShow and Help)
* Windows ServicingBaseline (for all versions of Windows Vista)
* Server Help (for all versions of Windows Vista).
Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB937287) contains just one package, which is applied to the Servicing Stack, a component used in Vista imaging.
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB938371) contains three packages, which are applied to:
* OS loader
* Windows Task Scheduler Service
* Windows Update Standalone Installer (WUSA)
* Foundation Package
* Common Log
* Delta Package Expander
* OLE Automation
* All Windows Foundation and WindowsPE Language Packs
Performance and Compatibility
This service pack isn’t to be confused with two enhancement packs which were leaked to the public a few weeks ago, and then officially released by Microsoft with virtually no fanfare on the 8th and the 9th. These two updates address compatibility and performance features in Vista.
The “compatibility” update (KB938194), “improves the compatibility and reliability of Windows Vista” in the following scenarios:
* The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
* 932539 (http://support.micro....com/kb/932539/) The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver on a Windows Vista-based computer
* The computer stops responding, and you receive a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error message. You can restart the computer only by pressing the computer's power button.
* The computer stops responding or restarts unexpectedly when you play video games or perform desktop operations.
* The Diagnostic Policy Service (DPS) stops responding when the computer is under heavy load or when very little memory is available. This problem prevents diagnostics from working.
* The screen goes blank after an external display device that is connected to the computer is turned off. For example, this problem may occur when a projector is turned off during a presentation.
* There are stability issues with some graphics processing units (GPUs). These issues could cause GPUs to stop responding (hang).
* Visual appearance issues occur when you play graphics-intensive games.
* You experience poor playback quality when you play HD DVD disks or Blu-ray disks on a large monitor.
* Applications that load the Netcfgx.dll component exit unexpectedly.
* Windows Calendar exits unexpectedly after you create a new appointment, create a new task, and then restart the computer.
* Internet Connection Sharing stops responding after you upgrade a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista and then restart the computer.
* The Printer Spooler service stops unexpectedly.
* You receive a "Stop 0x0000009F" error when you put the computer to sleep while a Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) connection is active. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
* 931671 (http://support.micro....com/kb/931671/) Error message when you put a Windows Vista-based computer to sleep while a PPP connection is active: "STOP 0x0000009F"
The “performance” update (KB938979), “improves the performance and reliability of Windows Vista” in the following scenarios:
* You experience a long delay when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
* A memory leak occurs when you use the Windows Energy screen saver.
* If User Account Control is disabled on the computer, you cannot install a network printer successfully. This problem occurs if the network printer is hosted by a Windows XP-based or a Windows Server 2003-based computer.
* When you write data to an AVI file by using the AVIStreamWrite function, the file header of the AVI file is corrupted.
* When you copy or move a large file, the "estimated time remaining" takes a long time to be calculated and displayed.
* After you resume the computer from hibernation, it takes a long time to display the logon screen.
* When you synchronize an offline file to a server, the offline file is corrupted.
* If you edit an image file that uses the RAW image format, data loss occurs in the image file. This problem occurs if the RAW image is from any of the following digital SLR camera models:
o Canon EOS 1D
o Canon EOS 1DS
* After you resume the computer from hibernation, the computer loses its default gateway address.
* Poor memory management performance occurs.
Here is an unofficial list of SP1 hotfixes from another page
925255 - Power consumption increases when you run a WPF-based program that runs an animation in Windows Vista
925528 - [DOWNLOAD] - Reliability update for the USB stack in Windows Vista
925920 - [NEW] - [DOWNLOAD] - MS07-017: Vulnerability in GDI could allow remote code execution
927084 - Error message when you try to watch live TV in Windows Media Center on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Restricted Content - Display Driver"
927341 - The Manage Discs feature in Windows Media Center stops responding after you resume Windows Vista from sleep or hibernation
927546 - You see only four available wireless network connections when you use a USB-based wireless network adapter in Windows XP or in Windows Vista
928089 - [DOWNLOAD] - The computer may respond very slowly as the Phishing Filter evaluates Web page contents in Internet Explorer 7
928135 - A Windows Vista-based computer stops responding when you resume the computer from hibernation
928188 - Ink programs may not work correctly on a digitizer in Windows Vista
928253 - SATA optical drives are not available after you start a Windows Vista-based computer
929011 - Windows Media Center does not correctly configure a combo TV tuner that supports both ATSC and NTSC signals on a Windows Vista-based computer
929191 - IBM and Lenovo computers may take longer to start Windows Vista than computers from other manufacturers
929427 - [DOWNLOAD] - The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
929451 - A client computer that is running Windows Vista registers an old IP address when the GUID of a network adapter changes
929478 - After you use the Safely Remove Hardware option to remove a built-in optical drive from a portable Windows Vista-based computer, you may be unable to reconnect the drive
929550 - When you connect a PCI ExpressCard device to a portable Windows Vista-based computer, the device may not work correctly
929577 - A Bluetooth device may no longer work correctly when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep
929615 - [DOWNLOAD] - You may not receive audio in the desired language when you use Windows Media Center to view television in Windows Vista
929685 - [DOWNLOAD] - A high definition audio device may no longer work after you resume Windows Vista from sleep or from hibernation and then restart the computer
929734 - You may experience problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation
929735 - [DOWNLOAD] - You may not find the file that you want when you use Advanced Search to search by date and you use a non-Gregorian calendar format in Windows Vista
929761 - [DOWNLOAD] - When you run Wusa.exe together with the /quiet option to try to install certain software packages on a Windows Vista-based computer, the installation fails
929762 - [DOWNLOAD] - You receive a Stop 0x9F error when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer that is connected to an IEEE 1394-based device
929763 - [DOWNLOAD] - Version 5.00 of the Mongolian Baiti font may be displayed incorrectly in Windows Vista
929777 - [DOWNLOAD] - Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"
929909 - A Windows Vista-based computer that uses a Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset may occasionally not wake from sleep
929913 - An error is logged in the Setuperr.log file when you run the "sysprep –reseal" command on a Windows Vista-based computer
930163 - [DOWNLOAD] - In Windows Vista, you cannot access any resources on a remote VPN server after you switch a network connection from one network adapter to another network adapter and then dial a VPN connection
930193 - Error message when you run the Sysprep command on a Windows Vista-based computer: "A fatal error occurred"
930194 - A computer uses an SiI PATA chip does not recognize an attached optical drive as a drive that supports recording after you install Windows Vista
930261 - [DOWNLOAD] - You randomly receive a "Stop 0xA" error in Storport.sys when you start Windows Vista
930311 - Occasional error message on a portable Windows Vista-based computer that wakes from sleep to perform network-related tasks: "STOP 0x0000007E"
930495 - An IEEE 1394 device is no longer available when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or after you reconnect the device
930517 - Message when a device on a Windows Vista-based computer uses a network bridge to access the network: "Connected with limited access"
930568 - Error message when you try to put a Windows Vista-based computer to sleep or into hibernation: "STOP 0x000000FE BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER"
930570 - Error message in the Usbhub.sys process when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation: "STOP 0x00000044"
930819 - Windows Image Acquisition imaging software may stop responding in Windows Vista
930857 - [DOWNLOAD] - An update is available for Windows Error Reporting in Windows Vista to make sure that problem reports are sent only after you have given your permission
930883 - Programs that play audio stop working and duplicate entries appear in the Default Format audio format list in Windows Vista
930955 - [DOWNLOAD] - Moveuser.exe is incompatible with Windows Vista and is replaced by the new Win32_UserProfile WMI functionality
930917 - An optical disc appears to be blank after you format the disc by using the Live File System component on a Windows Vista-based computer
930979 - You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you enable the BitLocker Drive Encryption feature in Windows Vista
931174 - [DOWNLOAD] - Update for the Windows Vista Customer Experience Improvement Program
931369 - The Windows Vista installation process may take several hours on a system that uses an ATI SB600 Series chipset
931573 - [DOWNLOAD] - You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required
931619 - [NEW] - When you click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in Windows Vista, the device in question may not be removed as expected
931671 - Error message when you put a Windows Vista-based computer to sleep while a PPP connection is active: "STOP 0x0000009F"
931674 - You may be unable to use a WSD-based scanner driver to transfer scanned data in Windows Vista
931675 - Error message when you perform a scan by using a WSD-based scanner driver in Windows Vista: "A problem prevented Windows from saving the settings"
931770 - The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer
931812 - On a Windows Vista-based computer, the Sony VAIO Camera Capture Utility (VCCU) may not work correctly until you restart it
931936 - Incorrect recording speeds are displayed in the "Recording speed" list in the "Burn to Disc" dialog box when you burn a DVD on a Windows Vista-based computer
931969 - The Microsoft Software License Terms appear in the incorrect language when you try to view them in a program in Windows Vista
932030 - Windows Vista incorrectly detects the miniport edge of PassThru as a WLAN adapter when you use the PassThru Intermediate Driver from the Windows Driver Kit
932079 - Power consumption may be slightly more than expected on a portable Windows Vista-based computer that uses a SATA hard disk that does not support Host-Initiated Link Power Management
932094 - Error message when you try to play a movie file that has an .mov extension by using QuickTime 7 in Windows Vista: "STOP 0x1A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"
932142 - You cannot install some programs after you restore Windows Vista by using a "Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore Image"
932143 - A hotfix is available for Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX and Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications that addresses the change to daylight saving time in 2007
932246 - [DOWNLOAD] - March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
932404 - A folder does not open when you click the folder in the All Programs list in Windows Vista
932406 - The Windows desktop may stop updating correctly after a Windows Vista-based computer has been running for a long time
932590 - FIX: Windows-based applications that use the TZ environment variable may not work as expected because of changes to DST
932539 - The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver on a Windows Vista-based computer
932626 - Various problems may occur after you disconnect a PCMCIA storage device when a Windows Vista-based computer is asleep
932634 - [DOWNLOAD] - Some elements of the user interface in some preinstalled Swedish versions of Windows Vista contain English text, text that is truncated, or linguistic errors
932635 - [DOWNLOAD] - Some elements of the user interface in some preinstalled Norwegian versions of Windows Vista contain English text, text that is truncated, or linguistic errors
932636 - [DOWNLOAD] - Certain elements of the user interface in some preinstalled Danish versions of Windows Vista contain English text, text that is truncated, or linguistic errors
932649 - [DOWNLOAD] - You may experience poor video quality when you use interlaced mode on a Windows Vista-based computer
932652 - A Windows SideShow-compatible device or the related Gadgets do not work reliably in Windows Vista
932753 - When you resize the Windows Media Center window in Windows Vista, video playback may stop
932814 - [NEW] - You receive an error message that states that a driver was not installed because of a file copy error in Windows Vista
932988 - Files from a Canon EOD 1D or 1DS camera may be corrupted after you use Windows Photo Gallery or Windows Explorer to edit the file metadata in Windows Vista
932998 - [NEW] - Error message during an unattended installation of Windows Vista: "No disk"
933242 - Windows ReadyDrive does not work in Windows Vista if the first partition of a hybrid hard disk drive has less than 32 MB of free space
933245 - A handle leak in Lsm.exe occurs when you play an audio file in Windows Media Player 11 in Windows Vista
933433 - Recording quality is poor when you use a USB microphone on a Windows Vista-based computer that has 4 GB of RAM or more
933468 - You cannot access SMB shares on a corporate network through a Remote Access Service (RAS) connection from a computer that is running Windows Vista
933607 - UMDF User-mode drivers that use the Windows SideShow class extension return errors when you process commands asynchronously
933620 - The operating system stops unexpectedly and you receive a Stop error message after you start the Sony VAIO Camera Capture Utility on a Sony VAIO UX Series Micro PC that is running Windows Vista
933778 - AA program that uses Windows HotStart does not start as quickly as expected after a Windows Vista-based computer wakes up from sleep
933847 - Availability of the Windows Vista Secure Digital (SD) hotfix rollup package
933860 - [NEW] - DFS failover does not occur when a client computer that is running Windows Vista tries to connect to a DFS root server that is unavailable, and you receive an error message: "System error 1214 has occurred"
933872 - The default gateway setting is lost when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep
934056 - [NEW] - Error message when you try to print a picture from the Search window in Windows Vista: "Windows can't find this picture"
934111 - An update is available for Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications in Windows Vista that addresses daylight saving time changes in 2007
934641 - [NEW] - A Toshiba Device Bay optical drive is not recognized in Windows Vista when you hot swap the drive or when you warm swap the drive
Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:58 AM
Intel i7 9700k - ASRock Phantom Gaming SLI/AC - 16GB GSkill RIPJAWS V DDR 3200 - EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Black Edition - Samsumg 850 Evo
"My friend's I am here to warn you that should you ever stumble across a website with top notch "content" on the front page that just so happens to be sorted by a rating system, please. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world. DO NOT GO TO THE LAST PAGE! What has been seen, cannot be unseen."
Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:22 AM
The day Alcohol released the 64bit compliant virtuall driver I installed XP Pro 64bit for the 4th or 5th time and never ran inything else untill now.
Operating Sysstem's are like small children out in the playground of life.-
It's not if Johney playes,they all play.-But dose johney play well with others's.
That's what it's really about in my humble opinion . BadArthur
Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:22 AM
I'll be excited for SP3 for XP
Vista...can kiss my butt until the end of time. I'm interested in "Windows 7" but Vista will never find a home on any rig in my house, nor any customer rig that I currently take care of.
Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:30 AM
Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:38 AM
Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:20 AM
I'll be excited for SP3 for XP...
I second that