Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista SP1 Pre-BETA Released

ReelFiles

ya i need another hdd, i just dont wana waste space on my other hdd's for vista and leopard, and i need a 8600 GT for my foxconn, so much to get :( lol

Hey thanks for the linkage! Vista SP1 running like a champ so far and for all of you thinking that it is very slow look at the benchie done on 1GB of ram!

71926782xp1.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep these Vista observations and recommendations coming! It's apparent that no matter how hard we throw up our own personal walls, that Vista WILL become the predominate OS as we move forward.

As for me, I'll keep my XP Pro Systems for as long as possible, but it is apparent that I'm only delaying the inevitable.

Hell, it took me forever to give up my Windows 2000 OS.

We have been having a discussion over in another thread about how to stimulate and improve the overall health of this forum (financial, participation, interest, traffic etc.) and I have come to the realization that many of us are old dogs resisting new tricks and in a offhand way directly contributing to the demise of this great forum.

So from now on, I pledge to completely abstain from any negative comments about Vista, and forge forward with a new appreciation of new technology in the OS world we know as Windows (in whatever flavor).

Keep these Vista observations and recommendations coming! It's apparent that no matter how hard we throw up our own personal walls, that Vista WILL become the predominate OS as we move forward.

As for me, I'll keep my XP Pro Systems for as long as possible, but it is apparent that I'm only delaying the inevitable.

Hell, it took me forever to give up my Windows 2000 OS.

We have been having a discussion over in another thread about how to stimulate and improve the overall health of this forum (financial, participation, interest, traffic etc.) and I have come to the realization that many of us are old dogs resisting new tricks and in a offhand way directly contributing to the demise of this great forum.

So from now on, I pledge to completely abstain from any negative comments about Vista, and forge forward with a new appreciation of new technology in the OS world we know as Windows (in whatever flavor).

It is always the same! We are waiting until we feel comfortable to change over. You should install Vista on a secondary hard drive, check it out and see if it runs without any problems! In my case there was none or just minor and none since SP1. I hope it stays this way so all in one I can't complain about it. It's been threating me very well! :)

Excellent words Wevsspot. A philosophy that would do the forum well if more of us followed. The constant belittling of a user's choice of hardware or software is doing nothing for the popularity of the forum.

Too many times a user posts with 2 or 3 choice he has narrowed his search down to and is asking for suggestions between those items. Only to get replies that you would have to be a fool to buy any of them when something else could be bought for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

There's a difference between explaining why two items differ and putting the user on the defensive. And this is exactly was has been happening with these Vista topics and hardware recommendations.

Be like me going to a barbecue. If I'm going to be ridiculed because I have round steaks ground up while others choose hamburger am I gong to switch to hamburger? No, I'll just go and barbecue mine somewhere else.

Excellent words Wevsspot. A philosophy that would do the forum well if more of us followed. The constant belittling of a user's choice of hardware or software is doing nothing for the popularity of the forum.

Too many times a user posts with 2 or 3 choice he has narrowed his search down to and is asking for suggestions between those items. Only to get replies that you would have to be a fool to buy any of them when something else could be bought for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

There's a difference between explaining why two items differ and putting the user on the defensive. And this is exactly was has been happening with these Vista topics and hardware recommendations.

Be like me going to a barbecue. If I'm going to be ridiculed because I have round steaks ground up while others choose hamburger am I gong to switch to hamburger? No, I'll just go and barbecue mine somewhere else.

Bingo! Give me a call when you going to the BBQ! :)

I agree with what you're saying about putting the user on the defensive, but I still would not recommend Vista, there is nothing gained by switching to that abortion of an OS, SP1 or not. Just gotta remember to word things different as to not make the user feel like a jerk.

You should install Vista on a secondary hard drive, check it out and see if it runs without any problems! In my case there was none or just minor and none since SP1. I hope it stays this way so all in one I can't complain about it. It's been threating me very well! :)

I've considered doing that, but I've had (and have) enough work on Vista machines that I'm getting pretty familiar with the in's and out's (notice I didn't say "quirks or shortcomings" :)

On my first Vista job I found two things that just really got me started down the war path . . . .

No default 'run' command on the start menu and User Account Control. Once I worked around both of those it hasn't been so bad.

The other thing that has always had me scratching my head is the sheer number of Vista incarnations. It has always seemed to me that MS could have narrowed that down to ummm.... say three.

A home version, a professional version and an enterprise version. Guess I'm just too simple minded.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

i too hate that fact of too many vista versions. home premium is the cheapest tho, so anyone can buy it or upgrade, ultimate on the other hand is just to damn expensive, but i agree with the comic book guy (wevsspot) too many damn versions of vista :(

not to mention there are N versions as well for Europe, which dont come with WMP11 ...

IMO vista is just a stepping stone. Sure, it has new innards and outers, but it is just an OS to fill the gap. I remember them talking about they would implement stricter hardware requirements for companies who want their products vista logo certified (like GPUs have to run pixel shader X version or such). But at the same time, windows is trying to make Vista more versatile and 'user friendly' as well as give it the ability to adhere to any hardware it is installed on. This bloats the OS and bogs down the system so much that you cant get anything done. Windows 7 will hopefully choose one end of this spectrum; a malleable OS or a strict(er) hardware requirement.