Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Who is the best with power supplies?

Looking good Paul. About the only thing I could think of that would be lacking is transient response. Trying to implement that really isn't worth messing with.

Praz

I have to agree.

Not many power supply reviews even mention the words transient response. Some of the high end power supply manufacturers do quote figures and times but with the test equipment I have available I'm afraid it would be near impossible to make an accurate measurement or reach an acceptable conclusion.

Regards

Paul

Pics, Pics, Pics

Nothing like good pics to tell the story.

Waiting for the bright red glow.

Did you end up going with Rapid electronics?

EDIT: saw the other thread.

Sharp

I got the majority of the resistors from Rapid and a couple from Ebay. I have gone with two of these for the heatsink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAT-SINK-WITH-24-x-...1QQcmdZViewItem (Being Ebay this link may have time limited functionality)

I have everything I need but the heatsinks. Should have them by weekend then I can start building the load. I intend fixing the two heatsinks together, fins to fins, to produce a square "tube". The resistors will mount on the outside, were the existing resistors are now, and I am going to fit a 92mm cooling fan at either end of the tube to force air through the tube. I am reasonably confident this will do the job.

If anybody needs 50 x 680R 25W resistors let me know otherwise its ebay to try and get some money back.

I will post some pictures of the load build for those that are interested.

Regards

Paul

You may have some use for them :)

I happen to come across this review.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1048&pageID=3092

In my first series of tests, I connected the Antec EarthWatts EA-500, TruePower Trio TP3-650, and the Ultra X-Finity 500W to a Coolmax PC/SPS tester. While I like that this tester has a connector module for everything a power supply can throw at it, I recognize that these tester units are not nearly as effective as the units with a built in LCD display. At any rate, I connected each unit to the tester, and what I found surprising was that on both the Antec power supply units the tester showed that the -5.0V was not passing the test. I did not regard this event, since I have seen some units display this very same occurrence on these very low-load tests and still function exactly as they are supposed to under load

Not sure if you are aware of the ATX specification and all the revisions made over the years but the -5V rail was phased out a long time ago.

And the PSU sticker clearly shows no -5v rail.

Strange review.

Unfortunately I have no use whatsoever for 680R 25W resistors. The value is way too high to be of any use as a load or for anything else really. (About the right value for a LED series resistor but a bit of an overkill on the watts!).

I have to agree a very strange review and I feel sure I can do a far better job. The power supply was hardly tested at all really. I note it was supplied by Antec and they probably expected a "decent" review in return.

If anybody doing power supplies reviews is not aware of the current ATX12V specification then they shouldn't be writing them. I 'm sure you would agree.

The Atrix 500T power supply I will be using as my guinea pig power supply for my first review has a -5.0V line but I have made the decision to disregard it. My load doesn't cater for any -5.0V lines if I'm being honest.

Circuit for my protype load if anybodys interested here:

loadmk1kl0.th.jpg

Can't wait to start building the load. Should have the heatsink by weekend then I can start.

Regards

Paul

Sweet...not that I understand it one bit (as I am dumber than dumb) but it still looks cool...

Looks good. I managed to work out the 5v/17.54A calculations :).

Doc, lets take the first diagram as an example.

Paul joined all the grounds (right end of the diagram) for the 3.3v resistors together, just picture them as individual circuits.

3.3v wire goes here>0----------[1ohm Resistor]------------0<3.3v ground wire goes here.

That is it, the 1ohm resistor puts a load on the 3.3v rail.

Then the next diagram is the same but features 2x0.68ohm resistors in parallel.

3.3v wire goes here>0----------[2x0.68R parallel]------------0<3.3v ground wire goes here.

So all it is,

+rail (any voltage) here>0----------[resistor combination]------------0

And that is how he will be stressing the PSU.

Thanks Sharp, that definetly clears it up for the less savvy people :)

Load building started.

Some pictures if your interested.

Naked heatsink. Here:

psuload01di3.th.jpg

Heatsink with resistors partially wired on both sides. Here:

psuload03ya0.th.jpg

and here:

psuload02ar5.th.jpg

Had enough for today! Broke three drills on the heatsink resistor mounting holes and burnt myself on the soldering iron a couple of times but its looking OK. I'll finish the wiring tomorrow and add a 92mm cooling fan at either end to force air through to help with cooling. Time permitting I'll connect it up and see what happens.

Will keep you updated.

Regards

Paul