Virus - Greetings.exe

General Septem

I just got one of those chain emails stating this virus is being sent along with fraudulent "e-card" notifications, and that it is capable of toasting hard drives.

Now, I know there is indeed a virus being attached to e-card notifications, because I delete about three of them a day. But the first time I got it, it wasn't picked up by Gmail and I decided to open it out of curiosity. I was never able to delete the .exe, but it appeared that AVG had quarantined it.

Is it true that this virus toasts hard drives, or is it just another botnet virus? I know there's a degree of truth and a degree of hype in these chain letters, and it did say some nonsense about infecting "Sector Zero", so I wonder just how much of this is true. I did end up losing the hard drive the virus was on. The circuit board stopped working.

Guest Modulok

I am not sure this is the same, but I have seen a flooding of SPAM instructing users that someone they know has sent them an ecard, postcard, or greeting card. the body asks the user to visit a website (mostly they are just an IP with /fklaiglehio3jhiotaigjhel after the address).

In firefox the page does nothing but have a link with some exe.

BUT ON INTERNET EXPLORER 6...OH BOY

It starts installing . (which Kaspersky catches), but all the user needs to do to get a nice virus is one mouse click on that IP link.

Since I control the network here, the emails get deleted at the SPAM filter level so users don't see the email anymore (and they aren't tempted to think they are special enough that someone sent them something)

Guest Modulok
Another site is goggle.com (don't go there) :tooth:

haha yup, that one is blocked in the SQUID ACL...people can't type for S**T these days.

i have to agree that it has alot to do with surfing habbits...i USED to let random ppl use my computer for whatever personal reason's they wanted, kinda like a community pc.....and i used to get all kinds of auto dialers and virus's...now i am very particular about who i let use my box, and havent had anything in over a year now...and i do d'load from several sources, but as long as you use a little common sense, you lessen you chances of getting ate up.

on a lighter not, i installed a new thermaltake Big Typhoon in my box 2day, and OMG....i love it...like 4degree drop on idle, and like 15degree drop with dbl prime 100% over stock amd sink...

this is way way way off topic, but does anyone have any invited to demonoid by any chance.....hate to beg, but seems bout impossible to catch them when they open up for a cpl hrs randomly 1 time a month....plz pm me if you can help...thanx

I really don't see how it could ruin a hard drive...I guess it could screw some . up for your average user that doesn't know how to wipe a drive though. I'd imagine after a run of DBAN it would be fine again.