Sign in to follow this  
Jachyra007

AGP gfx detection

I've been trying to install an AGP card into my sisters computer, mobo type d865gbf / d865perc, generic/dell components (PSU,memory) 2.4ghz celeron, 512mb ram.

I updated all the drivers for the board, tried two ATI 9600 different cards: one new from the Egg, second used but known to be working.

Problem is that whenever a card is plugged into the AGP slot, I get no monitor signal out of it at all except when the analog monitor is using the onboard video at boot. When it does successfully boot up, device manager does not detect any video card at all, even after disabling the advanced onboard video controller.

The only related bios options are primary video source (PCI/AGP), AGP frame aperture and AGP shadow memory.

The only thing i can think of would be a bios update, but if there are any other thoughts, I would appreciate it...

Somehow I am under the assumption that OEM's like to hide options in the bios versions they ship out on their boards - is that a correct statement? I'll get some pics snapped later today.

Somehow I am under the assumption that OEM's like to hide options in the bios versions they ship out on their boards - is that a correct statement? I'll get some pics snapped later today.

PC vendors such as Dell, Crappaq, etc. lock down their BIOSes so you can't access any advanced options; but the settings to enable/disable the onboard video should still be available.

Found a review of the board here while looking for a new bios version. It includes some screenshots of the bios options, which are exactly what I have both before and after I updated it.

Still no changes though. Do I have to uninstall v.s. disabling the onboard graphics in order for the agp board to be detected?

anyone have any info on this? I've tried about everything I can think of, but nothing is letting the card be detected...

Ok - so I've updated the bios, all chipset drivers, all windows updates, and still the device manager doesn't detect the card on boot. Disabled the onboard through the manager, no change. Boot sometimes sticks before post with solid CPU/HD activity lights. I'm starting to lean towards a crappy PS that can't handle the increased draw through the mobo. Currently has a crappy 350w "Hippro" brand that puts out 16a on the +12.

Any thoughts?

Tried a brand new Antec Neo HE 500 psu, still no AGP card detection...Windows just completely refuses to detect it...wtf...

Went through the whole AMD/ATI knowledge base on the 9600 series, nothing helped. Uninstalled the onboard drivers - nothing. Its almost as if the AGP slot itself is dead, but there has never been an AGP card in this system. Can't find any AGP specific drivers/system devices for the device manager, so I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. Although one would think those are included in the newest chipset/bios updates...

some locked down bioses you can get extra settings by hitting ctrl-F1 at the bios screen... or maybe a jumper on the board itself? other than that it sounds dead, but I bet if you paid Dell a grand they'd install the card :-P

p.s. did you get the clamps?

Its on my sisters older computer, she wants something better than the onboard for light photoshop stuff in school - a pre-built OEM machine that m parents got before I knew how to build them better.

If i did a bios flash, wouldn't that 'unlock' the missing ones? I haven't been able to find anything related to a jumper for AGP, although I did have that thought several times.

Lately its hanging on the windows boot progress bar, w/ both the new psu and card installed. only seems to clear if it sits for a while unplugged. Sometimes just a blinking cursor before the post screen.

geeze - definately the last time i do anything with AGP or dell...

No clamps yet, thats all I'm waitin for to get this bad boy going!

It wouldn't of been the PSU (unless it was dead...), I ran a 6600 Vanilla AGP in my DELL with a 250W before swapping it's mobo and CPU.

And the card said to have a "350W or more". :P It worked, but I would get artifacts without even overclocking.

I had the Antec coming anyway for another build i'm working on, so its not like I bought it for that system. I didnt think it was the supply either, but I wanted to make sure.