Sign in to follow this  
stanggt00

No boot after driver package install

WTF! I reinstalled windows and booted to it fine. First thing I did was install the latest NF4 Chipset driver package as I have done many times before including the IDE SW driver. During the reboot I removed the XP CD, changed my bios boot sequence from CD first to hard drive and I got a boot disk failure. What the hell would have caused it to fail? I really cant believe it was the drivers as I have used them before. HELP!

Well, aparently the IDE SW driver is CRAP, unlike the sticky said. I just reinstalled again without it and had no problems. I have had this problem on previous reinstalls but thought it was something else. Now I know better. Hopefully someone reads this and gets the word out about it.

you only have the drives in your sig?

I've never had a problem with the IDE SW drivers... It sounds like a boot order setting was out of whack... I got a boot message like that while I was re-installing recently, and it was because I failed to set the right HDD as the first boot device... I HAD set the first boot device to be a HDD, but didn't choose which one, and got the same error message...

you only have the drives in your sig?

I've never had a problem with the IDE SW drivers... It sounds like a boot order setting was out of whack... I got a boot message like that while I was re-installing recently, and it was because I failed to set the right HDD as the first boot device... I HAD set the first boot device to be a HDD, but didn't choose which one, and got the same error message...

QFT; that's what I'd say as well.

Ah crap, I never posted back the resolution to this. I will for search feature assistance to others in the future.

It seemed that each time I reinstalled my OS to the SATA drives with my IDE backup drive connected, I would have this same problem. If I disconnected the IDE drive until I was finished installing Win XP, I would have no problems. It took me three reinstall attempts at different times ( about a month ago most recently on my other rig) that it would load and boot to Windows until I removed the Win XP CD. After that I would consistantly get the disk boot failure. I dont know why, but as soon as I disconnected the IDE drive and reinstalled it worked great.

i can confirm this, yes, the disconnection of the IDE HD will allow the proper install. been there a couple of times, drives one nuts until you figger it out, LOL....

laterzzzz

Hence the common recommendation found here and elsewhere concerning having only one HDD or one Array connected to the m/b during the initial Window installation. For some reason, if you have additional hard drives connected during the install, Windows wants to right some of the boot files onto that drive instead of the drive that will actually contain the entire operating system.

Very frustrating. But what can you do (other than disconnect the extra drive during the Windows OS installation routine).

Ok to mark this thread as resolved?

Yes, please resolve this thread. I know I have seen what you are talking about with having only one drive connected, one stick of ram, no overclock etc... for a fresh install. Honestly, I have never followed that procedure and other than the issue with the IDE drive, all my installs have gone well.

Now this does not hold true for a second SATA drive though. I left my new backup SATA drive connected for the whole install and never ran into that problem. I am certain it is related to having an IDE drive connected only. Thanks again.