Dual Core = Dual Temperature??

hi technodanvan,

I have a case with decent ventilation. I'll post a pic once i'm back home.

I opened up the side cover and also pointed another fan directly at the BigTyphoon. All i got was a reduction in temps by two degrees.... 47-48C in this case. So, i presume that the ventilation has nothing to do with my problem. What say you?

cabinet.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's more than enough airflow no_nonsense4857, wils might look a lot nicer, but since you only got a 2 degree drop, that's not your issue. like navin said, these are rated to 65C, so your temps aren't going to kill your CPU... but you might not have a lot of room to up your Vcore...

The only issue I can see with your application of AS5 is that it's a little messy... you want one lump, directly in the middle of your CPU, and you want to lower the BT straight down onto it, and clamp it... don't wiggle it around at all, the force of it being clamed down will spread the TIM. Your BT looks like it isn't straight... or is that just the way the pic looks?

What is your ambient room temperature?

Hi Wil,

Superb cable management :) n a transaprent HDD that too mounted face front.... guess you can park your car inside that cabinet of yours..... evercool, bigtyphoon..... all that 120 mm nirvana......... great system.

Hi AnUnknownSource,

i just did not want to give up on the fact that my stock setting would scale up to 50C at load. Guess, i'll have to live with it. So, once taken into consideration..... it dose'nt hurt me much.

Planning to get a evercool.... so i'll be forced to take out the mobo..... will make sure that the AS5 is properly applied.

The mounting of the bigtyphoon is a bit slant because the clamps through holes are a bit offset to the horizontal axis.

My room was at a warm 25C when running orthos.

What I'm thinking is 2 fold:

1) That CPU doesn't look like you've lapped it - so I'm going to assume that you haven't lapped the BT either. Maybe the BT and the HSF on the CPU aren't in very good contact due to irregularities on the surface of one or the other (lapping them both will fix this)

or

2) Maybe inside between the HSF and the chip itself on the CPU aren't in good contact. Only option would be to pop it off (thus voiding any sort of warranty) and run it naked. This is a pretty risky business - especially with something the size of that Big Typhoon sitting on top of it.

guess you can park your car inside that cabinet of yours..... evercool, bigtyphoon..... all that 120 mm nirvana......... great system.

naa its really a small butt case lol only 40X44 cm now were talking small lol. I just removed all the drive cages and made good with the space i have

What I'm thinking is 2 fold:

1) That CPU doesn't look like you've lapped it - so I'm going to assume that you haven't lapped the BT either. Maybe the BT and the HSF on the CPU aren't in very good contact due to irregularities on the surface of one or the other (lapping them both will fix this)

or

2) Maybe inside between the HSF and the chip itself on the CPU aren't in good contact. Only option would be to pop it off (thus voiding any sort of warranty) and run it naked. This is a pretty risky business - especially with something the size of that Big Typhoon sitting on top of it.

Hi ganders75,

I've done lapping of iron cubes in our engineering lab. Hence, i understand what forces are exerted while holding it in a vice and lapping it...

but how would you lap the surface of the processor or for that matter, lap the surface of a heat spreader (given that you would not be able to take off the copper tubes). I have no idea of that 'chemically lapped' process too..

I could use the option 2 in case i go the water cooling way.

Whoa whoa whoa - dont be using a vice or any such thing.. have a look at this linkage for a bit of a step-by-step. It's really a pretty simple concept. You get something flat - like a glass table or whatever - and get some fine-as sandpaper. Wet the paper - then you run the CPU HSF or Heatsink over it very carefully to remove the imperfections. Repeat with finer and finer paper, until bored or tired. Be real-real-real careful with the pins on your CPU though. If you bend them out of shape then you can easily break them off trying to get them back to true.

Remember all you're trying to achieve is a mirror-like finish which is as flat as possible - which will help to spread the heat dispersion over a larger surface area.

Hi ganders75,

You almost shocked by my question :D

Thanks for the link. Too lazy and i thought 'i know it' :P . Now, all wrong notions down the drain. Its really on my to-do list when i get the arctic silencer for my graphic card... hopefully a evercool too :)

Usually get my stuff from newegg and keep my fingers crossed so that somebody gets it back to India. Unlucky that there was not even one shop selling the NV Silencer5 (7800GT)...

Finally got a friend to buy it from yoyotech.co.uk. Waiting for him to get back and get ahead with the lapping and other stuff.

Could you suggest any online store in the UK where i could get the evercool vc-re?

Thank you.