xfire.....is it me or....

red930

What do you all think?

I run xfire together with wow...

Now im not sure but i have the feeling its not liking wow or wow has a problem with xfire....

Pretty weird if you ask me since they should be compatible with eachother, but every time i run xfire i experience lag in the voice area <----- like peeps speaking and you cant understand what they are saying.

And my fps drops to 7 wich is ridiculous low i think....

Again it might just be an codec or something else not even wrong on my computer, but ill thought ill ask:)

i don't play wow, but some games xfire really does put a hurt on (NWN2 was REALLY bad with Xfire until a few patches for both NWN2 and Xfire came along). Never do voice on it so don't know that part.

We do voice on Rainbow Six Vegas and use Xfire and never have any issues that I can tell (though we do use Teamspeak instead of Xfire's built-in voice).

Also, the onboard sound can sometimes be VERY bad (lag, clarity, etc) with voice programs, especially Xfire's voice. However, you should be using that Chaintech 7.1 card I sent ya and shouldn't have any problems with Ventrillo/Teamspeak/etc.

But for Xfire's voice program....I never liked it at all.

Also, when using onboard sound, and even sometimes using other sound cards (such as yours and even my Audigy2 in some rare occasions), your cpu usage can spike dramatically. The higher-end cards like the Audigy and X-Fi and the new Oxygen chip card rarely require the cpu to do much work, especially if the program can support hardware access. I don't think this is the case with Xfire's voice program, I think it's all software, which means when it is sending and even receiving voice, it can demand a good chunk of your cpu's time to complete it's task.

In a game like WoW that probably uses a lot of your cpu since you have a 9600 (again, never really played it), this could be a big source of cpu theft.

Things are looking good so far here, so if you can just hold out a little while longer, I'll still send you that X800 Pro AGP as it is the best AGP card I have, quite a good deal better than what you currently have, and looks like no one wants to buy it anyway from my FS thread heh. Plus it already has a Silencer on it, and it clocks pretty well...great card to go along with that Athlon64 you got (you should fix that in your sig unless that is an AthlonXP cpu instead...if so, we'll have to see if we can fix that too lol)

Anyway, does wow run fine without Xfire?

Yea besides the, i suppose normal lag, wich keeps me at 25-30 fsp.

Obviously i do have an low end machine and shouldnt be nagging about it:)

But it does gets annoying sometimes and consider my sig fixed, i hope, ill write down what everest calls it k?

btw for you i can hold on for ages.

/me waves to moma too, missed ya hun:) , beeing off topic but i had too^^

Edit; i hope this is what you mean

hrmm...I'm just not that familiar with WoW honestly. I would assume that your rig should be able to play it just fine...and from what you say, it does as long as you aren't logged into Xfire...

we'll get around to fixing that pretty soon I hope...things are looking up here. Just another month to start replenishing the cash we bled to move and I'll fix you up.

Update wich might have to do with this:

While playing the lag got so wrong i had to go offline and look at me system, vidcard didnt get cooling, wich is sorted now and while i was at it i have reformated my whole drive, so far the ticking is gone but i have to yet reinstall wow, so ya never know:)

Might have solved the problem:)

I haven't even tried xfire while playing WoW yet... I play in a room with my fiance sleeping, so I can't make any noise anyway >< I don't notice any lag with it running in the BG though... WoW will play on a rediculously old computer my friend has, so yours should be able to handle WoW and Xfire... hope the re-format did the trick... maybe you had something else hijacking resources...

oh, one tip on WoW though... if you have a DVD burner, once you get WoW installed and updated, copy your entire WoW directory, updates and all to a DVD... then all you have to do to re-install is copy the directory back... WAY faster that way! It should play just fine like that, but you can run repair.exe and it'll check all files, put your shortcuts back etc. then it'll apply all the updates again (but really fast since you don't have to DL them :-)

you might already do that, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway...

umm... have you tried TeamSpeak? My friends use that, they love it...

and that X800 will play WoW beautifully at 1024x768 with everything all the way up... should do anyway, an Asus N6600 does... that X800 should be about the same :-)

X800 is a 12-pipe, 256MB, 256-bit gpu card while the 6600 is only an 8-pipe, 128MB, 128-bit gpu (some 6600's might have 256MB, but the pipe + memory interface on the X800 makes it a superior card so it shouldn't have any problems once I actually get the card to her haha)

oh, one tip on WoW though... if you have a DVD burner, once you get WoW installed and updated, copy your entire WoW directory, updates and all to a DVD... then all you have to do to re-install is copy the directory back... WAY faster that way! It should play just fine like that, but you can run repair.exe and it'll check all files, put your shortcuts back etc. then it'll apply all the updates again (but really fast since you don't have to DL them

Unless im mistakin, wow wont fit as it is 7.6 gig, got Buring Crusade installed too ;)