Sign in to follow this  
Laurie

Build in or real RAID card?

Hi

I have the CFX3200-DR, it is currently raid 0 with two drives. Now I've been browsing the net about Raid and have kept coming across this 'Real Raid card' statement - as opposed to software raid I presume.

So, is a raid card like the Intel SRCSAS144E SAS/SATA Raid Controller more stable or faster than the ULi inbuilt Raid on my card?

could anybody shed a light on the subject? :rolleyes:

a card will be faster than onboard/software.

ure mobo has sum of the best onboard controlers ive come across, they ran faster with my spinpoints than eney of the boards ive had since the 3200-dr. that the 975x/g & my current icfx3200.

u would expect the onboard controlers to hav got better not worse?

the good thing about using a RAID card is that not only will it be faster than the onboard, u will be able to move ure whole RAID array to a different mobo with out having to reinstall windows, just plug the RAID card in pritty much & the HD's.

have a look over in the HD benchmark thread, might give u more of an idea what to expect from a RAID card & how fast ure kit should be running ATM. its sumware around, maybe software section.

regards

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the thread you mentioned but sounds promising.

Any thoughts on upping my Raid 0 to 4 spinpoints. I've read that there are diminishing returns the more drives you add, i'd rather use them on another computer if the benefits aren't worth the cost. I'd just like a second opinion.

Cheers :)

Most Reliable and stable and fastest is a HARDWARE RAID card. The BIOS and OS sees the RAID as one physical hard drive.

Unix, Windows, DOS, Netware, all OS's see the RAID as one drive.

You can GHOST a Hardware RAID drive.

its also a good idea to run a backup HD when running raid0, i use two spinpoints in raid0 & the other as backup. if one disc brakes in the raid array then ive got my more important stuff on backup.

not that ive had a spinpoint brake yet(touch wood) & i got my first drive back when amd opty's first went to 939 socket, so a while back.

if u find the benchmark thread Laurie & if i remember rightly, ure mobo's benches start around the 70th-80th ish page. i could be wrong.

i'd also advise using a smaller stripe if u go with onboard 16k 32k, seemed good for me with the samsungs, u might even get away with an 8k stripe.

regards

Thanks Guys

Yep. you've convinced me, I'm going for a card. Blow the expense, its over the top but I've decided on the 3ware 9650SE. I'll definitely install a third backup drive as Green-Man suggests. Those SpinPoints are good but better to be safe.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post when everything is up and running.

You can GHOST a Hardware RAID drive.

Software/onboard controller based arrays can also be imaged and backed up.

To image a RAID array built by software/onboard RAID can be impossible if using Norton Ghost. But "Ghost" used in the generic term depends on the image software.

True Image will work with most any RAID solutions. If a configuration becomes available that is not supported it's only a matter of days after the request is sent that there is support. In an emergency a custom boot disk can be used to access any RAID/drive configuration.

keep in mind that buying a cheap RAID card is worse than using any modern onboard controller, and buying an expensive RAID card is a total waste of money unless you are running a mission-critical server or workstation.

The only time I use PCI/PCI-E RAID cards is in mission-critical situations (businesses, 3d modelling workstations, etc). Other than those few, rare situations, I always turn to the onboard RAID controller and never have any worries.