Sign in to follow this  
Yukon Trooper

Mobo or GPU?

About 5 minutes ago I rebooted my system so I could load up my stock settings in BIOS to play Thief. I like to do so not because I care about having an OC while playing a game from the late 90's, but because it's summer and it gets warm in my room with an OC'd rig, so I like to run stock when possible.

After I set stock settings and rebooted the system it started for a few seconds, rebooted, started again for a couple seconds then rebooted again. Once it got going it wasn't giving me any video so I was like WTF mate? I left it running to see if it made it to Windows but I didn't get any Windows sound so I know the OS didn't start. Does Windows not boot if it doesn't detect video or is that just a thing that varies motherboard to motherboard? Anyways, I opened er' up, took a look and everything was running fine from a physical perspective. All fans running, all connections tight yadda yadda. So I decided to try the other DVI port on my video card and VOILA I have video again. I thought to myself that maybe I was just getting cold boot issues and it just decided to work this time. So I plugged the cable back into the original DVI port but once again I did not get video and no Windows boot up sound. So now I am running off the second DVI port and everything is fine and dandy but WTF just happened? Did my mobo just corrupt and decided it doesn't like what the video card is telling it when I am using DVI port 1 or did I just manage to fry one of my DVI ports on the video card itself?

Are you kidding me? problems with summer up there in the yukon mate?

Wanna switch???

here in Montreal it's been toasty, even with air conditioning is hard to swallow.

Going back to you're problem, the only way to be sure if you "fried" one DVI port is trying to use your card on a different PC...or maybe resetting your mobo to factory defaults, clear CMOS and all that good stuff....

Yup, do a CMOS clear and see where you sit. Alot of times that solves issues. Also might try totally removing your old graphics drivers, use Driver Cleaner or something else if you like, and re-install them. That usually solves those weird issues.

Are you kidding me? problems with summer up there in the yukon mate?

Not really actually, it's been quite a cold summer but there have been the odd days lately in mid summer where its up to about 25. LOL thinking about it thats so much lower than what the rest of Canada is hitting, especially over there by the great lakes with all the humidity. With my computer on for 3 hours or so gaming and 25 outside it gets maybe a degree or degree and a half hotter than 25. Guess I shouldn't really be complaining but hey I'm a Yukoner so I like the cold!

Anyways yah, I'm gonna do all the basic steps for sure. Just wanted to see if anyone ever had this problem so I knew exactly what was going on. Seems like a rare problem though so I'll just have to troubleshoot. Thnx guys!