Sign in to follow this  
red930

Massive Bridge Collapse in MN USA

Anyone here live in MN and have more info on this?

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/01/ap3978854.html

Cars Fall in Mississippi After Collapse

Associated Press 08.01.07, 7:39 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS - A freeway bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis collapsed Wednesday, sending many cars into the water.

Tons of concrete have collapsed and people are injured. Survivors are being carried up the riverbank.

The entire span of the 35W bridge collapsed about 6:05 p.m. where the freeway crosses the river near University Avenue.

Some people are stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

A tractor-trailer is on fire at the collapse scene.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g...id/20079534/&fg

Guest Gir

yeah i saw that a little while again. i wonder what caused it.

Hey Ace.

MI is Michigan. MN is Minnesota.

just sayin.

Yeah, I know. I was in a hurry and screwed the state abbreviation up. :(

Damn those M states anyway.

A friend of mine says her parents live next to the bridge. She can't call as all the lines are jammed or the telcos have shut them down for LD calling.

yea..I saw the title and thought "Now where in MI is there even a massive bridge that could collapse? - since I'm originally from there, its grabbed my attention real fast - only 3 bridges that I know of that are of any real size. So far it doesnt seem like there was any major loss of life, only time will tell though if the bridge was bumper to bumper when it happened...

according to Hannity and O'Reilly at Fox News, liberals trying to make same-. marriage legal is the cause of this bridge collapse.

according to Alex Jones, aliens test-fired a new weapon (with shadow-government permission) and it malfunctioned.

according to Rush Limbaugh...oh wait he was too stoned on painkillers to even know about this (but he'll agree with Fox News and tie it in with the Clintons)

according to PETA, too many animals have been eaten or used as fur and angry moles tunneled under the supports.

according to Jay Leno's Jaywalking, persons on the street think Minneapolis is in Iraq or South America.

according to liberal magazine The Nation, Cheney ordered it destroyed to deflect questions about his daughter's sexual orientation.

according to most seasoned reporters and experts so far, sounds like pile-driving vibrations caused it to collapse, which is very strange since the MN DOT inspected it only a couple of years ago and found it to be perfectly fine with no problems.

Whatever the cause, I surely hope those that survived will be ok, especially those kids in the school bus. It looks like an ugly scene on tv (the downside is that this is all we are going to hear about for the next 7 days, as if there isn't any other news that is important happening in the world).

In times of crises like this, good people come together and help victims of tragedy recover.

I can't tell you how many times I have driven over that bridge.

The local channels pre-empted normal programing from right after 6 when it collapsed until about 7:30.

Huge traffic backup into downtown Minneapolis.

Yes George I was safely behind the keyboard (proved fruitful at last).

The destruction was massive.

Hopefully injuries will be minor and loss of life a minimum.

What the hale is a "Michigan"? :D

EDIT: 10:33PM - TV is reporting that 7 deaths and about 100 injuries.

I live in Eau Claire WI and cell phone lines have been jammed here since around 7pm. Just to give everyone an idea of the massive amount of calls being made.