What's good health insurance in North Carolina?

ReelFiles

O.k., so we had these two clowns from Alliance stop by just now, and they basically rambled off a bunch of numbers and deductibles for various services. I mean they were just as bad, if not worse, than car sales people. At least I know about cars so I can smell the b.s. from a while a way.

My wife and I don't know the last thing about buying health insurance, but I figured I would at least get a brochure stating all their services with all the small print etc. but they basically didn't give us anything useful to study. I don't understand how I am supposed to make a educated decision without that information, I can't imagine all insurance companies doing that so I guess Alliance is just crap.

They also said that they would cover up to $1000 in emergency room charges per visit, but there's been plenty of times when my wife had to go and get more than double that much work done. So unless i just misunderstood their ramblings I really don't think they are for us.

I've also heard some pretty bad stories about Blue Cross from my neighbor who just payed ca $160 for a tiny little dropper of antibiotic ear drops. I am know that I shouldn't make a decision based on that fact alone, but I don't know many people around here, so I was hoping that some of you could recommend a good company.

We are trying not to have deductibles for emergency room visits. For example, If my kid gets hurt and I don't have the deductible I wouldn't be able to take him to the emergency room and that's just retarded, in my opinion. I'd rather pay a higher co-pay and not have to worry about that. I am also looking for a high maximum for emergency room/hospital stays, since I know that when it rains in my family it usually pours and that the bills add up real quick. I don't want to end up having to pay thousands of dollars off for breaking something.

I also need good dental, since I have a lot of work to be done. From what I gather i have to wait like 6 months or so before I can go get the work done, according to Alliance anyways, don't know if that was a line of crap though. ...This really sucks, I hate the U.S. health care system. HELP!!!!!

Thanks guys. ;)

a lot of companies offer a group insurance plan, where if you join, you pay a smaller monthly premium. My last job i only paid about $35 a week just for me, and it covered a lot. Metlife. I have heard good and not so good things about them.

I doubt you're going to find a perfectly honest, straight-up-front company in the USA, but it might be worth your time to check out. If you're eligible for medicare, jump on it.

Medicare seems to be our best option so far. That's what my wife and our son have as of right now, but we need to reapply now that we moved to NC. They covered all the expenses of my wife's pregnancy and our son's check ups.

I don't know what they offer in the way of dental. Being on disability and having medicare part a and part b, i never bothered to read the lenghty, confusing pamphlet about all the coverage.

But i need to call them and ask what I'm covered for as far as dental goes, cuz i need a little (a lot in the long run) done. I get 'em yanked for free.

But having turned 51 today, and neglecting taking care of my teeth in my mis-spent youth, I'll need dentures after i have a certain amount of teef weft. In the meantime, jes' call my gumby :nod:

It is hard to get good insurance without it being part of an orginisation for a reasonable price. What is often more inportant is getting a doctor that can help you avoid going to the ER. I would strongly suggest you look for a OD doctor for family pratice they are traind to avoid illness not just treat it. A 10 doller dcotors vistit or two is always better than the ER. See if your wifes school has health insurance for the students. It is iften very cheap because most young people have fewer illnesses.

The 160 doller ear drops is not nessarily meaningfull. It is the doctor that decides on the dropps the new med instead of one on the approved list or the paitent doesnt go to the preferred pharmacy yes it can cost 10 times what it mould normaly. That is not the insurance companys fault. With a good doc they will often work with your policy to help contol costs.

I get confused at times with all the red tape and I am a RN. When I am sick I dont feel like messing with all that either. PM me if you have questions I dont get on the forum as much as I like because work has become a reinactment of Dante's famous book. :rolleyes: