New Build (budget oriented!)

gtrdude485

So I recently posted a thread on updating the setup in my sig to an Opteron and 2GB of RAM. Now that I'm finding it VERY hard to find both of these at non-retail prices (been looking here, [H]Forum, and techPowerUp) I'm wondering if its worth it to put money into and old platform. I am willing to spend around $500 plus any money I can get from selling my old parts (maybe $100... HOPEFULLY). Planning on keeping the case, PSU (if it will support a 8800GTS or above), HDD's and all opticals and monitor so basically looking for:

1. MOBO

2. CPU

3. RAM

4. VID CARD (can wait til novem when 8900 come out for a nice price drop on the 8800 :) )

I've come up with this:

INTEL

1. MOBO Update GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 102.99

2. CPU E6600 221.00

3. RAM G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 88.99

TIA

you're in luck stuff is so cheap nowadays

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $129.99

PROCESSOR - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail $178.99

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $99.99 $64.99 after rebate

you get the 1333mhz FSB and good overclocking headroom, also the ram is not the most amazing for overclocking but a great deal

this will whoop your current system

and that is as cheap as I can find, good luck with the vid card lol

I've read that with prices dropping so much there is not really a huge difference in going with C2D or AM2 for the cheap budget I'm on. Maybe You guys can recommend something that is cheaper now but will enable me to upgrade in the future if needed...?

I may not pay that much for a CPU unless you have a reason. I know 4 Meg L2 and all that but you are going to OC probably and everyone was crazy about the E4xxx before, so for $100+ less. I have not used it but was going to buy an E4300 until I found an E6400 used for about the same price. Haven't tried it yet either. Gives you 100 more for video card purchase.

Difference is only about $60, but good to know. Would it be worth it to look into an AM2? I know it will be a little cheaper but I figure Intel is winning the race so far so when games start to REALLY use dual cores I should be ontop of it not necessarily the fastest which i dont really care about. Also I read in a thread that RTS liek C&C etc are pretty CPU intensive so clock for clock it would make sense to go with an Intel setup...

I agree with wanting to go C2D unless you can beat the price far enough with AM2. You could hunt and peck around to see if you can get used stuff and see how cheap you can get. Everybody is so crazy for C2D there are some good deals on used AM2. Used does not appeal to everyone. If the savings allowed you to get the video card you wanted then it may be the thing to do.

But seeing the easy OC reported by C2D just may be too appealing for anyone to pass up. How much money are we talking? That's the question and what will that savings allow you to do.

Well as I sorta explained before, I was (until today) going to spend like $230 for a used RAM (OCZ Plat 2x1GB), CPU(Opty 170), HS(Tt Max Orb) combo which is good deal but I started thinking why not spend only like $70 more and plan for the future a bit? I am planning on using all the same parts as in my sig. I also have a Sata card i need specifically for backing up my XB360 games but thats just a regular PCI slot (not listed). I am going to keep my 6800GT until I see a good enough price drop or enough 8800GTS's used for sale. I was kinda seeing this as a summer upgrade before I move in with my aunt and have no room for a desktop until Jan of next year. Now that I'm typing maybe I shoudl just wait until then! who knows... f&$k

Highly recommend the E4300. All of them OC to 2.7 or above w/o much effort. You won't notice any difference. I have built 5 of them.

Currently using MoBo 965S @ 3.1ghz with stock cpu cooler. Just ran 20+ hours of Othos without a problem. Temp log barely touched 60 on the cores. Mostly 55 - 59.