Using an 8800 Ultra in an PCI-E 8x slot?

I've just received my 8800 Ultra, which is replacing my old 7800 GTX. When I tried to install it in the top slot of my mobo it won't quite go in all the way in because it's right over top of my Evercool VC-RE chipset cooler, not to mention that it also blocks the top four SATA 3GB slots. Would I take a big performance hit if I installed it in the bottom slot and changed the SLI jumper so that both slots are at 8x instead of 16x top and 2x bottom?

I believe it was Gary Key who found that the card needed to run at least 2560 resolution before the bandwidth provided by x8 was exceeded. So yes, your card will function fine in the bottom slot.

lol that's what I was going to say. Company of Heroes is the only game that seemed to show a difference (I don't bother checking pro graphics workstation stuff like SPEC or 3d Studio Max/Maya etc since I only play games with my gpu's), but I've seen some wildly fluctuating results from CoH in my own testing.

I couldn't see any difference when using my 8800 in the Infinity NF4 SLI (each lane is factory locked at 8x) vs my SLI-DR (16x). Even at 1600x1200.

Shows precisely what has been said all along. In real world usage basically no difference in perceivable difference.

You said that to saturate the 8x bandwidth you need to run above 2560 resolution, well the test showed that the difference between 8x and 16x on a 1600x1200 resolution(way below what you suggested) already shows 10fps difference in call of duty 2. So if the resolution increases, the interface bottleneck will be even mode evident, wouldn't you agree?

Specially considering his case that purchased an 8800 ultra.

Gary telling me the bus was not saturated is good enough for me. His testing methods and knowledge is widely regarded throughout the industry. And as a side note running F.E.A.R at 1680x1050 with the processor at 4.5GHZ I have seen no difference in the benchmark between x8 and x16 other then the normal run to run deviation.

This Gary guy you're referring to, is he from anandtech?

If so, this information that 2560 resolution is what's needed to saturate the bandwidth, did he tell you this personally, or you saw it on an article he wrote?

I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with the url of the article in question if there's one, as this is a very interesting subject for me...

Thanks in advance