Sign in to follow this  
Javve

Close to Watercooling Temps?

Actually, i don't live in the Artic. I live in an area called Hell's Canyon. The night I got those sub zero temps, it was a comfy 72F inside my house (with the oven on no less to keep the house warm). It was, however -20F that night though.

And when using the term "ambient" it is best to describe ambient with reference, as i can rattle off 3 ambient temps... ambient room temp, ambient inside case temp, and ambient air intake temp.

I'd be willing to participate in a poll as to whether this thread

1. Is meaningfull

2. Is understandable

3. Makes any sense at all

4. Has anything to do with stock cooling what-so-ever

Don't mean to trash the thread, just find it interestingly curious.

Edit: MadZalmanModder, Thanks for the cool Everest screen. You made me look for it ... I have never seen it before.

And when using the term "ambient" it is best to describe ambient with reference, as i can rattle off 3 ambient temps... ambient room temp, ambient inside case temp, and ambient air intake temp.

Ambient room (environment in which the PC is; could be outside) temp ~= air intake temp ~= (slightly <) inside case temp

I'd be willing to participate in a poll as to whether this thread

1. Is meaningfull

2. Is understandable

3. Makes any sense at all

4. Has anything to do with stock cooling what-so-ever

Don't mean to trash the thread, just find it interestingly curious.

Edit: MadZalmanModder, Thanks for the cool Everest screen. You made me look for it ... I have never seen it before.

1) probably not; how can you get sub-zero CPU temps on air? (even with a heatpipe)

2) no; how can you get sub-zero CPU temps on air?

3) no; how can you get sub-zero CPU temps on air?

4) no; sub-zero temps on air isn't possible; unless the PC is outside with sub-zero outdoor temps

radodrill, yes, you can get sub-zero temps (in C) when your pc is inside your house. and yes, it is VERY possible.. as i have done it on many many many many occasions, WITH my pc in my house! My pc dont plug into the power outside as there are no outside outlets and i dont use extension cords. plus, who wants to game while freezing? get fragged alot from shivering if you did.

On regular aircooling it's impossible to get sub-zero CPU temps with ~22C ambient temps. The only way you'd have a remote chance of getting there with aircooling is if you're using a TEC/peltier. Assuming that you're using a stock HSF I'd say your temp reporting software is off. With a stock HSF, Heatpipe, or watercooling the lowest temp you can possibly achieve is the ambient temp at the heat exchanger (be it a RAD or heatsink).

Trust me; I've had classes in heat transfer and thermodynamics.

p.s. I've seen people place their PC outside then run cables into the house; for the monitor, KB, and mouse; to achieve lower system temps during the winter.

radodrill, obviously you have not looked at my slideshow. And throw any temp software my way, and u will see that everest is not wrong, build after build after build. And I too have had college physics course, while in high school.

You need to expand your thinking.

radodrill, obviously you have not looked at my slideshow. And throw any temp software my way, and u will see that everest is not wrong, build after build after build. And I too have had college physics course, while in high school.

You need to expand your thinking.

You could have mentioned in your post that you're drawing in outside air to pass through your PC (most people only look at the system spec in the sig, but don't look at other links in there); this does not fall into the category standard cooling methods. Another downside is that you can't consistently maintain those temps; especially not in the warm summer months.

and to clarify, the -8c/+2c temps were achieved with an ambient air intake of -29C

When we refer to ambient temps we mean the temp at the heat exchanger, which invariably is the same as the temp outside the case; except when using non-standard cooling methods like you are.

In your case the ambient temp at that time was ~-29C; but for most everyone the ambient temp is ~22-24C

hence the reason above that i clarified 3 different sets of ambient temps, and that people use "ambient" in too much of a general term and not literal definitions.

Warm summer temps dont bother me. it is 90F outside and my core temps are 10C/20C.