Building a new rig. Much input needed.

no reason at all to get anything more than the 7200RPM drives. I always get 2 and do RAID-0 for speed.

Everything else looks just fine. I hear that eVGA i680 board is the tits from a lot of guys here (means its pretty friggin awesome).

for memory I highly suggest OCZ or Corsair as we have reps here from each company.

Here's some good DDR2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227124

$98 but also has a $35 mail in rebate, so the price without the rebate is great, and even better once you get that rebate.

This eVGA 8800GTS is faster core speed for only a few dollars more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130038

btw, if you enjoyed our help, just do us the favor of clicking on the Newegg banner at the top of the forum before buying from them!

I would recommend the E4300 Intel CPU. Pretty much 3GHZ or better with decent MoBo and decent air cooler.

Also, 520w Corsair Power Supply is/was $80 @ buy.com with free shipping and no tax for most. $70 if you do google checkout with new google account.

Contrary to what some may say there is no reason to get a 680i based board if you have no plans for sli. If a single graphics card is being used the 680i chipset cannot compete with Intel chipsets for performance or stability. This is the reason for sli staying proprietary. If sli was allowed to run on Intel chipsets 680i sales would be practically non-existent.

yep forgot to mention that...if you only plan on a single card, I'd go for a 975/965 board, but then again maybe in the future you'd want to go to a bigger (24" when they come down in price to something affordable) monitor and add a second card...but if not, I'd defintely look into a good, feature-rich Intel 965/975 chipset board.

I'd get a P35 board. Not only do they overclock quads better if you go that path but clock for clock the performance is better on them.

I'd get rid of the AMD stuff. For games it doesn't make a difference, but for number crunching stuff like dnetc/folding, or for video encoding.. Intel blows AMD out of the water. :)

I'd get a P35 board. Not only do they overclock quads better if you go that path but clock for clock the performance is better on them.

I'd get rid of the AMD stuff. For games it doesn't make a difference, but for number crunching stuff like dnetc/folding, or for video encoding.. Intel blows AMD out of the water. :)

True to an extent but Intels advantage relys on the program you are using actually takes advantage of it latest instructions set. In other words use something other than the big name Intel centric programs like the latest Dvix which costs extra money and some of that advantage goes away.

For rock bottom prices in a very stable and developed package AMD is hard to beat. Intel is good too though at a higher price. The P35 chipset is very nice. I just got a Abit IP 35-E fyou can get it for 114$ not bad. The gigabytes are likely better but I am fond of blue. Something to look into.

Guest element

The abit has the heaviest voltage options all round, surpassing the DFI's.

Guest element

i680/965 based mobos currently available from DFI. Mostly Vcore and Vdimm adjustments. I looked it up on the respective sites. And was shocked to find DFI didn't have the heaviest volt tweaks.

Having both the QuadGT and the 965-S since their respective release dates I've had quite awhile to compare them. The 965-S offers higher voltage values then the QuadGT and with the exception of the 4:5 divider requires less voltage overall in a clock for clock comparison.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with the QuadGT. It's a good board. I've tried killing it and it keeps bouncing back. But the best 965 based board available right now is the 965-S with the GT a close second.

Guest element

Oh too right. Show me for just looking at specsheets eh ? me bows to real world exp :P