Sign in to follow this  
Guest dnsx_merged

Removing Windows Vista

Guest dnsx

Hey, I need help removing Windows Vista from an HP Pavilion a1726x because Vista doesn't support a certain language program that I am trying to install. This computer is for my relatives that dont speak or read english so I need to figure out how to remove Windows Vista and reinstall Windows XP on this system. I tried buying a new hard drive and replacing it in this system but Vista is still installed. Can someone please guide me to removing Windows Vista so that I will be able to install Windows XP Home Edition?

A brand new hard drive shouldn't have any operating system on it. It sounds like the one you bought was already used by someone else. You can also wipe or scrub the hard drive clean with software, & then load XP on to the clean drive.

Um.....google how to install windows XP. Pretty straightforward, there aren't any extra steps if you already have an existing OS. The drive gets formatted anyway so I wouldn't bother trying to wipe it before you wipe it. :) But you will need an XP installation CD and an XP serial key.

tmods cd has killdisk on it which will write 0's to each sector just like a new disk look in bios section for the disk

krazypoloc is correct.

Initial caveat: Be certain you have or can get the XP drivers for you hardware. Check the CD that came with your system or the website. I would download them all and burn them to a CD.

Try booting from the XP cd. If no boot opportunity is given then ...

Change your boot order in the bios (hit delete while booting or watch the screen and it will tell you how to get into bios setup, maybe F2). After you change the boot order to CD first, then reboot, the screen will give you an opportunity eg. "press any key to boot from cd" so press any key and XP install will boot.

Just follow the prompts, just tell it to format the partition, quick format will do. Don't make any new partitions, just format the entire partition. If you have more than one partition set up by some creative reseller, delete those and have one partition then reformat that. Don't do any dual boot options (I don't think XP gives you the option but anything is possible). There may be some odd thing I'm unaware of because I would know Vista from a dead skunk in the middle of the road, but XP should be willing to just format anything in its way. Choose NTFS format.

On the other hand, if you are feeling wild and crazy you could try a dual boot. This tells you how.

Ok this was more than I bargained for so I'll stop. Good luck.

Yeah I would follow smitty's advice to the letter. There is no reason you should have to go through the process to zero your drive. Just use the normal XP install.

Hopefully your XP home is fully bootable and not just an upgrade.

Man I think back to the days of Win98 and a reinstall took best part of the day...lol. XP = 20 mins :D.

Hopefully your XP home is fully bootable and not just an upgrade.

Man I think back to the days of Win98 and a reinstall took best part of the day...lol. XP = 20 mins :D.

Oh yeah the good old boot disk that never seemed to want to work the first, second, fifth time.....sigh...those were the good old days. :)