Sign in to follow this  
radodrill

8800 GTS or GTX; That is the question

As stated in the title :)

I have a Samsung 226BW @ 1680x1050

Decided to sell my bro's 4+ yr old rig; sell him my sigrig and buy a new one for myself. Gonna get the Q6600 off mwave so no CPU bottleneck issues.

At that res the GTS would probably be plenty. But if you have the money to spend I'd get the GTX:tooth:

I'm sorta tight on cash; but I want something that'll last.

eVga GTS320 -- 260 AR

eVga GTS640 -- 350 AR

eVga GTX768 -- 480 AR

which wul be the best bang-for-the-buck but still give me smooth performance on my monitor; if possible maxed settings.

My friend has a 640 GTS and games look good on his 20" lcd at 1600x1200. Not sure what settings he uses though. But for bang for the buck you'd probably want to get a GTS. I'm not sure if there would be a benefit between the 320 or the 640 seeing as i've never used one of those myself.

i have a GTS with 1680x1050

its nice, everything maxed. if i were you though, GTX would be the better option

the extra bandwidth

also u dont need a better CPU.. u wont gget bottlenecked

my friend tried with his 3000+ , with 7950gt and SLI, and same gfx cards except with a AMD X2 5600+, the difference in FPS was 5-10 at max.

Got the 640MB 8800GTS with my Viewsonic vx2025wm 1680X1050 and its flying. Definitely go for the 640MB if your going with 1600 or 1680 and beyond. Plus games just keep on getting more memory hungry. Could always get the 8800GTX for that extra push but your paying a lot more for that relatively small performance gap.

Remember with EVGA you can always use the step up program. You might want to consider the fact that the new G90 cards come out this holiday as well. So in 3-5 months your gonna see the 8800's at mid level prices. The step up program is valid from 3 months of the purchase date and they take the price you paid for your card and put it towards the one you want. Usually the step up program is no better than selling your card and buying a new one because EVGA's prices are higher than prices you'd find on Newegg or other retailers. However if you manage to buy one within 3 months of the G90 release you'll really be able to reap the benefits. Think about it. You could buy a brand new 8800GTX and then when the 9800GTX comes out you could upgrade for basically free. You might have to pay a small amount and shipping but you'd totally be coming out ahead of EVGA. :)

The exact release date is unknown at this time, but I'll bet anyone its in November so parents can buy the cards to put them in the closet for Christmas. I'm guessing the official info and release date should be out by October.

As stated in the title :)

I have a Samsung 226BW @ 1680x1050

Decided to sell my bro's 4+ yr old rig; sell him my sigrig and buy a new one for myself. Gonna get the Q6600 off mwave so no CPU bottleneck issues.

The GTS will do you fine M8, to many people spend more than the need just for the high bench mark score they crave, my system is 7 months old now at it does everything that I need it to do, and I hope it will in the future, not a lot of games that will trouble the GTS, tbh I have played about with resolutions and eye candy, and a lot of the time I fail to notice any improvements good or bad, only oblivion challenges my system so far!