Watercooling The Conroe E6600

Most of the reading I've done concerning the bow in the Apogee is hit and miss if the IHS is flat.

In most cases it didn't appear to hurt performance even if the IHS was almost flat to begin with. I decided that I didn't want to re-plumb three times in seven days once I got all this back together the second time, so I went ahead and installed the larger O-ring anyway.

So far so good. I couldn't be happier now. I still hit a wall at 385fsb with this particular Infinity board, but she runs just fine at 378fsb giving me 3.4ghz out of my E6600 for 24/7 operation.

And best of all, she is quiet, very quiet. The Zalman 9700 was fairly quiet at all settings except for full fan speed, then there was an audible wheezing above all other components in my system.

With this new water cooling about the loudest thing is the clicking of my Raptors. I love it. And temps are holding steady.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the pics of the completed project. No thats not water spots on the Apogee GT, just gremlin jism .... errr .... I mean dust.

Rad hanging off the right side panel is pretty redneck, but the unit sits in a corner and you cant see the back panel at all.

Gotta love zip ties :)

dscf0913copyac9.jpg

dscf0908copyxb7.jpg

dscf0910copydg5.jpg

Thanks guys. I wish my case wire management looked a little better, but the Antec 900 was really tight. With the power supply at the bottom of the case it made it a real booger to get the water pump down there too.

However, I did get my HDD's in backwards, so I was able to run my SATA and SATA power cables around to the front of the case so they are pretty well hidden by the front grills.

That did necessitate removing one of the two front 120mm fans. But that worked out because I used it in the side panel anyway.

This case has pretty good airflow, IMHO looks good when it's all together, but it is a real pain in the arse to work in. No quick release HDD or optical drive bays (all held in the old fashion way - with screws). Installing my new backup drive was almost as time consuming as putting the whole thing together in the first place :(

Anyway, thanks for checking out the pics and the words of encouragement. Personally, I didn't think it came out all that well, so your compliments mean a bunch.

Thanks.

My temps were almost exactly the same as PeTeZZs were. As I got to the 3.4ghz and higher v-core area my temps were about where yours are during orthos. It didnt take much for me to see alot more heat so if your not to happy with it you could try backing it down a hair. My intels seem to run hotter than my amd cpus but that may be cause i push them harder. Dan

Sorry I hadn't had a chance to thank all of you guys earlier for your postings and input.

Thanks. I appreciate hearing your thoughts and personal experiences.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I'm finding very hard to place the thicker o-ring into the Apogee... How did you guys made it? used glue or something...

The thing just doesn't stays in place to mount the block back into position...

very frustrating...

EDIT: I got it :)

EDIT: I got it :)

Yep,

It can be kind of tricky. I put mine into the freezer for about one hour, this stiffened it up enough to get it down into the groove and stayed there long enough for me to get the base back together.

I've drained and refilled my system twice now due to hardware changes and in both cases my line was almost clear in less than an hour.

I cheat a little bit though, as I leave my reservoir outside of the case with the cap off for about ten minutes when I first fire it up, constantly topping off the tank so to speak and forcing the accumulated bubbles up out of the top of the reservoir. I think that helps the air escape quicker.

How long yours takes to bleed will be affected by reservoir type, location, radiator etc.

The Swiftech radiator has a self purging plenum that speeds up the bleeding process by quite a bit.