Memory Dividers not working? v.Lanparty Ultra-D

This problem has been bugging me ever since i got my new Opteron 170 about a month ago. I have hit a wall with my memory at the 5:6 divider but it seems like there is nothing i can do to make it boot on a a divider lower than that.

Every time I try a lower one, 7:10 , 2:3 , etc it usualy gets to where it says 'Verifing the DMI pool' then sits there for a while and eventually restarts.

Could this be a MB issue and not memory? RIght now i am using 2x512 Mushkin Redline and a 2x1GB OCZ Platnum @ 270x10 5:6=~225, and it doesnt seem like they want to go much higher than that. I have relaxed the latency to 3-4-4-8 from 2-3-2-6(i think). HTT is at 3x.

I have tried take the 2x512 out thinking it was the mixmatched ram causing the problems but i still could not get it to go lower.

Thanks for your help!

It's difficult enough getting 4 sticks of ram to play ball in the first place. But to be honest you arn't doing yourself any favours runing 2 different size's from 2 different manufactures. If that was'nt bad enough, 1 set is UTT-CH5 and the other(at a guess)is UCCC. First thing is to stick with one set or the other.

All that aside, the problem is most likely to be the lack of power. A 460W psu is very very borderline as far as your rig goes. As a start i would get one from the reccommended list.

I know its a little faux pas to run two different stick like that but like i said it runs stable as is right now and didnt show any differences with one pair or both together. I'm sorry but i dont understand why it would need a more powerfull PS to run at a lower speed, i wouldnt be suprised though becuase this doesnt make any sense anyway. If i have the optortunity i will try a different PS.

The power issue is not as clear cut as you may think. It probably would not help but PSU is not just more or less power but stability. As you get to the upper end of the PSU's they are less able (many of them) to provide stable, nonfluctuating stream on all rails. Then you ask ram and mobo to run out of spec and it just can't do it. It's a turkey shoot, but they drop easier with a bigger gun. :)

My thinking on it being the psu is this. You have 2x15amp 12v rails on your 460w psu. If the psu is designed properly 1 of them will be supplying the cpu, with the other one doing everything else. That may well be enough amps to run a rig at stock, but nowhere near enough to clock with. Have a look here it will explain it better than i can. I will quote the bit that is relevent though:

"Now as for the subject of split 12v rails. IF you loaded all of your gear onto one rail (impossible and I will explain why), then you would have an overload situation. On the OCZ 600w powerstream, the 18A rail is "assigned" to the CPU lead only. The rest of the gear, including the video cards runs off the 20A line. You have 38A available spread over the 2 rails. If you had a less capable PSU with split rails, then loading might be an issue. You would not want 25A split over 2 rails for example."

Keep in mind that you only have 30amp in total.

syngensmyth is right of course, and with your psu, you are operating at the edge of what it is capable of.

Have you tried the Max Async Latency at 9 or 10 and the Read Preamble at 6.5ns?

DUDE, that worked! I don't even know what those setting are. Thank you so much!

edit: Aww, once i starting turning up the FSB the same thing started happening. It returned around 280. But i have never gotten it to boot at a lower divider before