Project: RAD GT -- Custom Acrylic Case Worklog

looks awesome.

I love acrylic cases, but i hate LEDs. Id add UV reactive coolant to the WCer and then with some lighting the DFI board and coolant would light up nicely :D

just a suggestion :O

keep up the good work and keep the pics coming

Definitely going to use UV CCFLs (maybe red as well) and UV coolant. Only LEDs are going to be in the FP switches and maybe the fans. Also going to sleeve the cabling for the FPIO to make it UV reactive as well.

More pics will be uploaded as I make more progress on the case.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I started working on the drive Bays:

3-5_Drive_Bay.JPG

5-25_Drive_Bay.JPG

Laid out the parts on the masked acrylic:

Drive-Bays1.jpg

The cut out panels:

Drive-Bays2.jpg

Threaded side panels for drive retention mechanism (will into detail on that later):

Drive-Bays3.jpg

Cut drive support rails:

Drive-Bays4.jpg

Unmasked 5 1/4 bay panels:

Drive-Bays5.jpg

Unmasked 3 1/2 bay panels:

Drive-Bays6.jpg

I have to wait on an order from US Plastics before I can glue these parts together.

Sponsors:

DangerDen.jpg A_C_Ryan.jpg PTS.jpg

Minor update:

Been busy with work the past few days and haven't gotten much done on the case. The good news is that DangerDen is on board to sponsor the Liquid cooling aspect of this case build

Minor update:

Been busy with work the past few days and haven't gotten much done on the case. The good news is that DangerDen is on board to sponsor the Liquid cooling aspect of this case build

See if they can get you an article in PC Gamer or something. ;)

so you are "gluing" this whole thing together?

Only the drive bays will be glued together (and glued to the front panel as well). The rest of the case will be screwed together using 1" Acrylic cubes (I'll be posting pics of them later today).

Today I received the 1" Acrylic cubes that I'll use to assemble the main panels of the case

Corner_Block1.jpg

Drilled/Tapped the cubes so that I could screw on the panels

Corner_Block2.jpg

Closeup of one cube

Corner_Block3.jpg

Next I polished the parts for the 3.5" drive bay

Drive-Bays7.jpg

3.5" Drive bays clamped and glued

Drive-Bays8.jpg

Sponsors:

DangerDen.jpg A_C_Ryan.jpg PTS.jpg

looks top notch so far radodrill. a sponsor from dangerden to nice1, they must be liking what uve done so far aswell.

i wish i had proper tools like u seem to have, just for my normal ish builds. im always having to use the wrong tool as ive go no choice.

everything takes longer than it should or just not as well as it could be done.

going back to ure build rado, u said before u were looking for sumthing to use for case feet. hav u thought about using wheels instead of feet, that case will end up pritty dame heavy when finished then add ure h20 & pc kit. i can feel the back pain already ;)

regards green

looks top notch so far radodrill. a sponsor from dangerden to nice1, they must be liking what uve done so far aswell.

i wish i had proper tools like u seem to have, just for my normal ish builds. im always having to use the wrong tool as ive go no choice.

everything takes longer than it should or just not as well as it could be done.

going back to ure build rado, u said before u were looking for sumthing to use for case feet. hav u thought about using wheels instead of feet, that case will end up pritty dame heavy when finished then add ure h20 & pc kit. i can feel the back pain already ;)

regards green

THX; DangerDen is a Great company and I'm glad they're on board.

Yeah; good tools make a big difference. I've got mostly Bosch tools; so far I've only needed my drill, dremel, jigsaw, and bench grinder (with a polishing/buffing wheel). Gonna pull out my router for the outside corners :)

I'm thinking of using the Sunbeam acrylic LED illuminated case feet; don't want some generic casters on the bottom. If weight turns out to be an issue; I'll just build a rolling base for it to sit on.

good project you got going there. make sure to add some wheels or atleast have the chassis above the ground for better circulation.

Gonna put some LED illuminated feet on it; I really have to leave an air gap between the case and the floor since the air intake is on the bottom.