OMG xp defrag or what?

DuTcH

I'm having a right old battle at the mo with a "reputed PC firm" who has stated to a friend

"The NTFS File system sorts out files automaticly, defrag is only needed very rarely, and windows will recommend you when you need to run it"

:eek2:

WTH i know NTFS is better a storing large amounts of data than the former FAT32 but its all automatic? I guess he is referring to the fact that xp has auto cleanup function which I hold as much faith in as george bush taking my next set of exams!!:tooth: I believe in this day and age with the xp's cleanup are not only out dated but hacked half end products from the nineties anyway!

so have I been wrong for the last 3-4 years recommending and searching for alternative products?

Personally I see no reason to not use the defrag built in to Windows. It does the job and it's one less thing I have to install on my computer.

I've never seen it tell me I need to run it though, but I usually run her once a month at least anyways so maybe it just never kicks in to tell me otherwise.

Defrag really is needed very rarely for the average person who likely wouldn't notice the difference. Hell, even a lot of 'pros' don't need to do it often simply because of how rarely new software is installed and the fact most files are stored on a separate drive or two.

I on the other hand am continually installing (running/adding) things from every dark alley of cyberspace and yes I have been mugged a few times, but surprisingly few.

I hate things that install and avoid them whenever possible but I, like you, always think something that isn't part of Window's must be better (just can't kick the idea). What sense does it make to install crap to run resident and bog down your system in order to speed up the system, maybe it's just me.

So I have settled on Power Defragmenter GUI 2.0.125

Which is a nice GUI for us dummies to use for Contig v1.54 which is the Sysinternals defrag engine. Now purchased by Microsoft and still free, will wonders never cease.

It is based on Microsoft defrag I think but does more and is fast. It sure looks like it's doing something and I'm always a sucker for looks.

I turn off background optimization (and lots of other stuff) resident in XP (have you met Black Viper?) He will help you destroy you Windows setup, but again I can't stop fiddling and I can make an old system feel like a new one (sort of) if I tweak it enough.

Seeing the reported fragmentation, you will never convince me that defrag does not help. At times (after forgetting to do it for months) the performance level is apparent.

Edit: For free and extra credit. One killer for an older system is a desktop full of files and icons. When they are cleaned off (depending on how much junk has collected) it's like installing a new system. Why older system, just because your new fast everything can handle the overhead better and you don't notice it as much. The OS still has to keep track of all that crap on the desktop and that takes time and energy.