Quad Core System Advice

CharmedLover84

Alright guys... I'm havin' a tough time making this decision by myself so I'd like to get input from you folks.

I'm about to buy a Quad Core Intel system soon and I've got most of the parts narrowed down, but the thing I'm really havin' trouble deciding is the processor...

I really want to order it like... yesterday LOL and I just found out that the Q6600 is out of stock pretty much everywhere, but I found a place that has the QX6850 (the new 3Ghz Quad core) for under a grand that's a respectible site.

Basically the specs (excluding the processor) will be this:

EVGA LGA775 122-CK-NF68-A1 NVidia NForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (219 bucks)

Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Dual Channel RAM ([email protected]) ($299)

Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA HDD ($199)

Cooler Master Stacker 832 Case ($239)

Belkin UPS 1500VA ($159)

and parts I'll be using from this rig:

2 x EVGA 8800GTXs

Fortron 1010 Watt Everest PSU

1 x Plextor DVD Burner &

Possibly my X-Fi sound card, or I may order a new one for it...

Now my Advice Wanted part is, what do you guys think I should do, go all out and get the QX6850 or wait and get a Q6600 when they come back in stock? I mean seriously, I'm kinda sick of the whole overclocking gig although I'm sure I'll give it a shot with either processor, I'd be happier with the QX6850 from tha perspective, no need to overclock... but the price is kinda eh, even at the place I found it for under 1K, barely...

Whatcha think folks? Any advice is welcome... also, budge is pretty much unlimited for the rig, as I'm putting it on a credit card that has a 5K limite, 3.2K of which is available for the rig... but I'd PREFER to keep the rig under 2.4K MAX which is what the QX6850 would take it darn near.

I'll be postin' newegg links to the majority of the hardware I'm ordering tonight, I gotta go to bed so I can get up for work in 5 hours LOL

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the QX6850 I ordered is from a site that didn't inform me they're backordered before I ordered it, so now I'm having to cancel that, and I'm getting all the parts for my computer tomorrow EXCEPT a processor... really freakin' happy about that ::sighs:: I hate it when I knew better but I did it anyway, shoulda waited for Newegg to get it all in stock and ordered it all at once.

Update: Qx6850 is secured, will be here Thursday ;) Cycle complete LOL

Now I just gotta consider the pros and cons of sellin' my 8800GTXs on EBay and goin' for Ultras... think I'll just wait for the next gen cards, and in the mean time pay off my 4K credit card bill as much as possible LMAO

But man am I gonna be happy come Thursday Night/Friday Morning when that thing is benchmarking for the first time.

Hopefully we BOTH won't be dissappointed with the stepping man...

All QX6850s are G0 as far as I know. And oh, rest assured... THE first thing I am doing once windows boots up on that SOB on Thursday and I have drivers installed for video, sound etc... is benchmarking and then setting it for Orthos at Stock... I can't freakin' WAIT to see my 3DMark scores... or my FEAR frame rate... cuz according to Intel's website, with ONE 8800GTS, you can get 130FPS AVG with a QX6850... imagine what I can do with TWO 8800GTXs LOL and Oblivion... I may have a... never mind ;) LMAO