Overclockin' General Question?!

alright

so i know fully understand what you guys meant from the beginning that trying to overclock with all 4 sticks of ram from he beginning is very difficult.

i also now realize that it's much harder for people to help and or explain the process, especiallytrying to explain things to a new overclocker.

so with that being said, i pulled my the second pair of ram (the xmx3202v5.3)

and went back to 200mhz and most default settings.

i found the same ram in the database and used some timings as a guideline. (let me know if any should be changed)

i've been gradually stepping up the mhz.. i took a screen of both occt and a64 info thus far..

occt + a640 info with only TWO sticks of ram

as of right now i've reached 235 with the default cpu-vid of 1.3v

i know my multiplier is a little high and will probably have to be dropped to 3 to go any further. buttt

i did try for 240mhz and got the DMI Pool boot error, dropped back to 235 and was able to pass both mem test 5 and 8, then i passed occt (on normal, forgot to change the priority to high)

i'll leave orthos running tonight and see how it's doing in the morning... so i guess now i just have to drop my multiplier, and up the cpu vid control gradually and possibly increasing the 'special control' plus whatever suggestions you have.

OHHHH yeah, I almost forgot.... after i unplugged the two sticks of ram, dropped to more or less defaults.... the windows product activation screen popped up.

said since windows was installed, that the hardware has changed significantly... if it matters, i have no idea, i just wanted to mention it....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i forgot about that, thanks will!

so i started to play around with the settings and stuff, and i have more or less hit the same road block that i hit before with anything over 250 mhz

i was stable at 240mhz and then tried for 250 however i did get some boot problems, the boot problems also occurred if i changed my Dram Frequency Set from 166, it would just automatically restart. so as of right now i'm fairly stable (minus an orthos run) at 247mhz.

(i'm still getting the windows activation message, i tried to input the serial that is on the windows xp sticker, and it's not working.... should i call msoft or just not worry about it?)

also, my system seems to be running hotter now at the same processor speed (247mhz) then it was when i had all four ram sticks in... mobo was up at 69C which i thought was too warm. (should i be overly concerned?)

here's an everest - a64info - & occt screen - latest spec update

other then the windows activation and my mobo temp..... what settings should i change to actually be able to boot into windows over 250mhz?

you still trying to run 1;1 ? and your vcore still at 1.3xx

trc-13

trfc-16

normal 4

L-1

maxass not under 8

read preamble 5.5

you need to find out whats not passing the ram or the cpu so use S & M and check your ram

Or set OccT to just test cpu

you still trying to run 1;1 ? and your vcore still at 1.3xx

trc-13

trfc-16

normal 4

L-1

maxass not under 8

read preamble 5.5

the 1:1 thing i'm not sure so like normal... i'd need help with it.

vcore is at 1.4v (same with the start-up)

and those timings caused me boot issues so i'm back to

trc-7 trfc-14 weak-4 level-3 maxpass-7 and the read-preamble is at 5.5

in my last post i also did pass s+m i forgot to mention that for the memory test.

if your passing snm memory then its vcore you have to deal with set it to 1.5 and see were it takes you. from there its just look at the chart and start from 1.5 and work your way up one notch at a time till you pass Occt then bump your HTT up 5 and keep going as i see your ram is running at stock DDR400 or 200MHz so you should be good there for a bit.

But your

trc-7 <--- will start craping out soon

trfc-

maxpass-7<--- should be at 8

Are to tight when you start uping the HTT

will i've been running those settings and have been able to reach 247mhz thus far. (passed s+m w/ memory and occt on max with cpu for the half hour test)

i seem to have reached the same problem that i had before of reaching 250mhz+

heres a a64 screen shot screenshot

and here's a list of all my genie settings:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 247					
LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - x4					
CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - x10					
PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 105Mhz					
CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - 1.425

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.5V					
CPU VID Special Control....................... - Auto					
LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.3V					
Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.6V					
DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.9V					

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 166=RAM/FSB:05/06 
(won't boot if i change this to 180 or 200)
Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enabled
CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 2					
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 3
Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 6
Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 3

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 13 Bus Clocks				
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 16 Bus	Clocks				
Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 3 Bus Clocks				
Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 3 Bus Clocks				
Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 2 Bus Clocks				
Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 3 Bus Clocks				
Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3120 Cycles				
DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Emabled				

DQS Skew Control.............................. - Auto					
DQS Skew Value................................ - 0					
DRAM Drive Strength........................... - Weak4
DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - Level1
Max Async Latency............................. - 8
DRAM Response Time............................ - Fast					
Read Preamble Time............................ - 5.5					
IdleCycle Limit............................... - 256 Cycles				
Dynamic Counter............................... - Disabled				
R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16X					
Bypass Max.................................... - 7X					
32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disabled (4 Bursts)	

now i tried upping the HTT to 250, when i got into memtest and attempted to test both 5 and 8, after about 5 seconds of testing 5, the memtest screen goes to crapper and freezes on me.

however when i tried to just boot up into windows, she booted but when i reached my desktop it restarted...

i'm more or less wondering which specific timings or settings should i concentrate on and play with so that i could possibly keep pushing forward. i kinda feel a little lost in traffic right now :S

thanks again guys.

OK well you did grate considering that your ram is spd at 200 MHz @ 3-3-3-8 and your running 2-3-3-6 :D now put them at spd specs and move into the real world :D And turn your vidd back down to 2.75 or 2.8.

You got yahoo messenger or AIM ? No I ant going near MSN :D

thanks willy

u must be down as well on aim... nothing was going through

i'll try what you suggested tho now. see what happens

edit:

alright so i'm back home from work... wasn't busy

after talking to wil over aim, i changed my ram settings and also dropped the mem clock freq as well.

screenie

so i ran orthos at 270 for 5 hours and everything seemed honkie dorie.

so this is promising since i couldn't get anything above 250 before.

i'm stepping out to run some arinds w/ my sister, but i'll try bumpin the cpu up to 275 and see how it goes.

bahh go figure something goes wrong.

so everything has been going great, i've actually had success overlcocking this thing.

so i then decide that i gotta try to clean up the wires i my case since i never have from when i had the rig built.

i clean up the wires and make some room in my case, i plug everything back in, and do a quick test.

everything lite up and everything seemed great. so i then go back and fully screw in the drives and put my case more or less back togehter

however the only thing that i think i did was i switched the little red switch at the back of the psu from 115 to 230. (why i have no idea) but i did, so then i plugged everything back in, and it lite up but then immediately shut off.

and i did notice a bit of a smell, wasn't strong or anything but just a faint smell.

now i got nothing at all.

did i fry my psu or my board because i'm getting no lights or anything on the board now.

lol Kids Ya just got to love thenm :D

OK unplug the PSU. Now Unplug the 24 white board plug. now look close and you will find 1 green wire in that 24 pin plug. got it ? Now get a small wire and jump the green wire and any black wire and then turn on the PSU and see if the PSU fan comes on. make SURE you only have the green wire and a black wire And make sure its set at 110 ac