Sign in to follow this  
robbay111

Overclockin' General Question?!

Did it eventually boot from the HD and into Windows?

You must have cd higher in the boot order than HD which is fine, I always leave it that way.

Did it eventually boot from the HD and into Windows?

No i didn't, it hasn't gotten that far.. so no windows i haven't made it past the cmos clear, then boot from message... i selected it to boot from hard disk 1st, second, and rom was 3rd on the list.

turn off first ,second and third boot to disable and enable boot other device

i tried that as well, still trys to boot from CD, it looks like it won't let me do anything BUT boot from the cd.

In the lan party nf4 bios menu, i clicked on the 1st bios to install *maybe that was my mistake dunno* but it was the OCZ Tony NFH 704-2bta. ( was this the right one? )

I ran the drive scan, was fine, did the mem test did 8 passes overnight, seemed fine, i guess i'll try prime to see if anything comes up but i can't get into windows. because no matter what i try, it's booting from the cd..

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dunno if it matters or not, but when i reset and enter bios when pressing delete, it LOOKS identical to my previous bios screen... i dont have anyof the Tmod options nor the fancy colours. SO the only time i get into his bios menu is when i let the comp boot from the cd!

not sure what that means but yeahh

there also a CD boot order and a HD boot order might check them. Disable them boot 1,2,3. Are you running a Raid? Also check the first page in bios and see if your sata is showing up, And check were your set volts and HHT and down at the bottom of page make sure sata 1,2,3,4 is enabled

In the lan party nf4 bios menu, i clicked on the 1st bios to install *maybe that was my mistake dunno* but it was the OCZ Tony NFH 704-2bta. ( was this the right one? )

YES

Dunno if it matters or not, but when i reset and enter bios when pressing delete, it LOOKS identical to my previous bios screen... i dont have anyof the Tmod options nor the fancy colours. SO the only time i get into his bios menu is when i let the comp boot from the cd!

not sure what that means but yeahh

Every Genie BIOS looks exactly the same, boring blue screen with a list of white words. Some of the options are different is all and the underlying coding is different ... always looks the same. Tmod's CD contains the different BIOS programs but is not the actual BIOS.

As wil said, some BIOS setting is not right yet and BIOS is directed to the wrong drive for boot or SATA is not enabled. While you are doing all this setup, unplug your second HD just to keep things simple. Plug it in later, after you have things established.

1. Screen 1 ... yep there she is, my happy HD

2. Then the Screen for Sata Enabled for the SATA # to which you have the HD attached (or as wil said turn them all on) but it would be nice if you only had to turn on the one that corresponds to the actual numbered connection.

3. Check Boot Preference

4. Check Boot Priority

Is your CD Drive SATA by any chance?

I hate to mention it but when you installed the N4 driver pack did you install the N4 IDE drivers? You may be better of with the Windows dirvers for ide.

there also a CD boot order and a HD boot order might check them. Disable them boot 1,2,3. Are you running a Raid? Also check the first page in bios and see if your sata is showing up, And check were your set volts and HHT and down at the bottom of page make sure sata 1,2,3,4 is enabled

I'm at work, actually going home early... not much to do SO

off the top of my head.. i couldn't tell you if i was or wasn't running raid.

I'll try checkin that stuff as soon as i get home and see what happens.

thx again willy!! :D

I hate to mention it but when you installed the N4 driver pack did you install the N4 IDE drivers? You may be better of with the Windows dirvers for ide.

Um unless after you press enter and let the cd install the selected bios that it ALSO installs the N4 driver pack then NO i didn't install them.

Only thing i did with that cd was flash the bios, then use the drive diag, the memtest, and i left the prime running while i came into work today.

so i'm assuming thats a negative ghost rider on the drivers!!!

thanks again guys, i really do appreciate your paitence and help :cool: :D :cool:

OK good luck. And if you was running a Raid lol you would know it :D for some reason its not seeing your HD or it would ask to (press any key to boot CD)

BIOS is different from drivers. The original setup disk with your motherboard has a driver setup that you run. These can also be downloaded from the DFI website. At some point during the setup you will be asked if you wish to install the N4 IDE drivers. Just say no. That is what I mean. When you install Windows it installs Windows IDE drivers. Then when you install the N4 software, if you did, N4 gives you an opportunity to install N4 IDE drivers to replace the Windows drivers. Some people have flawless experience with the N4 set and some do not. This should not be causing you a problem until you get into Windows anyway but I'm just trying to think what is causing your difficulty. Once in Windows you can roll back to the Windows driver or uninstall N4 and let Windows reinstall it's own if you have continual issues.

I forgot to mention you may want to unhook your CD Drive also. Make your single boot drive the only physical possibility, no where else to go. That way you isolate working with one drive and you are not chasing down more than one issue at a time.

Looking at BIOS

Standard CMOS Features

See HD

Advanced BIOS Features

1. HD Bootr Priority (will be only one if others are unhooked)

2. Boot Order

Integrated Peripherals

RAID Config. (Enable/Disable)

Genie BIOS

Internal Phy SATA 1/2 (Enable/Disable)

Internal Phy SATA 3/4 (Enable/Disable)

Try different cables.

I'm sorry I've been gone. Tries to Boot from cd? Does it eventually say insert OS disk or operating system not found or something simular? Yep's the guys are right check your boot orders first. Be sure all of that is good to go.

Also we can't overlook the possibilty of a bad flash. (I don't think so..But maybe) Even done right under the best of conditions. These things can go horribly wrong. If fact when overclocking they can go wrong by themselves no bios flash is nessessary. Once you are completely sure you have the boot order ironed out. (And the hard-drives are plugged in) We might have to consider the possibilty. I lost the keyboard the other day.Semi corrupted bios.(Bad overclocking on my part.Or rather tryin' to get it to do things it really doesn't want too. Weak cmos battery might have had something to do with it too.)

Alrighty SO here's what happened!

I checked the boot order, everything was fine there.

I'm assuming that I'm running raid still not sure tho. ( i know its sad shhhhhh lol )

However my 1st page in bios WAS showing my hard drive information.. so it was reading the WD.

i made sure all 4 sata ports were enabled.

I double checked that my HD boot priority was correct. (it was)

the internal Phy Sata 1/2 + 3/4 were enabled as well.

i then used the same RAM settings that I was using on my old system

changed the DRAM voltage from 2.6 to 2.8

changed the DRAM frequency settings to 166 ram /fbs :05/06

i disabled command-per-clock

i changed the row cycle time to 07 bus clocks

the row delay, the write-record & the write to read to 02 bus clocks ( if they weren't already)

and the response time to fast.

(i know i probably should have left them at defaults but i remembered that when i first installed the 4 sticks i couldn't load windows until i fixed some ram settings)

Then I proceeded to unplug my floppy drive, my 2nd internal, my 2 CD drives

and then re-booted the system.

After the clear cmos OK screen, it brought me to the "boot last known cfg and safe-mode page.. i selected start windows normally and she loaded up fine.

what process of elimination should i use while re-plugging the rest of my drives back in? run some diagnostics obviously.... but what else before i attempt to install a new CPU & heatsink... lol (i know what your saying... oh GL buddy lol)

just go one by one?, or just try to plug them back in each individually and see if any bring up that same error?

*sry for bein clueless

I lost the keyboard the other day.Semi corrupted bios.(Bad overclocking on my part.Or rather tryin' to get it to do things it really doesn't want too. Weak cmos battery might have had something to do with it too.)
:eek2: I lost my 3700 last night :mad: I could only pry its a bad bios :confused:but not likely as the 3200 is working in it OK:sad: