Sign in to follow this  
naddie

x2 3800+ (2.5GHz) to Opty 165 (???Ghz)

I feel my current build (in my sig) still feels quick. It is used mostly playing BF2142 and lots of video transcoding from divx/xvid and wmv to wmv - wmv to wmv transcoding because of resizing video for my mobile media center.

I am wondering how much faster is moving from my current setup to an Opty 165? The minimum OCs I am seeing the 165s are getting are around 2.7-2.8GHz. If I were to buy one from NewEgg now, will I get one that can do 3GHz+?

Will the performance be noticable from a 2.5GHz dual core (512kb cache) to a 2.8GHz (at minimum) with 1MB cache? And by how much?

I haven't seen any direct comparisons of a 2.5GHz x2 compared to a 2.8-3.0GHz DC Opty.

And lastly, how does a 3.0GHz DC Opty compare to Intel's latest C2Ds? Specifically those also at around 3.0GHz (in other words, clock for clock). I know they can go as high as 3.6GHz (most report 3.2-3.4GHz OCs), but I'm interested in 3.0GHz clock-for-clock comparo between AMD and Intel.

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know I've been away for a long time... need to get back up to speed with the "new stuff". :)

I feel my current build (in my sig) still feels quick. It is used mostly playing BF2142 and lots of video transcoding from divx/xvid and wmv to wmv - wmv to wmv transcoding because of resizing video for my mobile media center.

I am wondering how much faster is moving from my current setup to an Opty 165? The minimum OCs I am seeing the 165s are getting are around 2.7-2.8GHz. If I were to buy one from NewEgg now, will I get one that can do 3GHz+?

Will the performance be noticable from a 2.5GHz dual core (512kb cache) to a 2.8GHz (at minimum) with 1MB cache? And by how much?

I haven't seen any direct comparisons of a 2.5GHz x2 compared to a 2.8-3.0GHz DC Opty.

And lastly, how does a 3.0GHz DC Opty compare to Intel's latest C2Ds? Specifically those also at around 3.0GHz (in other words, clock for clock). I know they can go as high as 3.6GHz (most report 3.2-3.4GHz OCs), but I'm interested in 3.0GHz clock-for-clock comparo between AMD and Intel.

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know I've been away for a long time... need to get back up to speed with the "new stuff". :)

1) You will probably get one that goes up to 2.7-2.8, as far as I've seen.

2) I had my 165 clocked up to 2.7 on a suicide run (only reason it wasn't completely stable was cause of temps) and I saw no major difference between that and my 2.6GHz X2 when I was gaming, FPS-wise, just a few more FPS. 3GHz would probably show more of a difference.

3) 3GHz, possibly. But don't count on anything.

4) I believe the X2 6000 @ 3.0GHz has been compared to an E6600 @ 2.4GHz, so that should give you an idea of how they perform. Correct me if I'm wrong.