Sign in to follow this  
CharmedLover84

Q6600/680i Questions

Hey all.

I'm looking at getting a Q6600 Core2Quad and a DFI 680i Chipset motherboard since I just found a Q6600 at a very cheap price and I've heard they overclock well.

Anyone have any info on the Q6600? I wanna know what I can expect in overclocking, as I'd like to be able to hit at least 3Gs with it... just cuz I like round numbers ;)

Also if anyone has better suggestions on the motherboard I'm all ears as long as it's got a 680i chipset that supports Quad Core and up to 8GBs of RAM on the RAM slots.

I probably won't be making this purchase for a few days... then again I might do it tonight and get it over with since it seems my want of getting a system for under 1200 bucks built is now possible with this price on the Q6600 I found.

Added by edit so you guys can look the motherboard I'm planning on getting over:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136035

You'll likely hit 3Gs on stock volts and simply by upping the FSB to 334. It's stupidly easy to OC these Intels. 3.2 is virtually guaranteed on every chip if you're willing to add voltage. However they get HOT AS HELL once you start upping the voltage.

I've been told/seen a lot of good results with the ASUS p5n (the 680i version). My issue with the DFI is that it COSTS SO FRIGGIN MUCH! Other than that, go for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131073

I like the looks on the DFI 680i; IMHO the best designed 680i package available. If I had the cash to upgrade my rig that's certainly the board I'd get.

Well I just found enough proof to make me definitely want it...

Q6600 with my setup video card wise, clocked at 2.97GHz got 15633 on 3DMark06... my setup? I just scored a new high, and guess what? it's STILL under 12K LOL

and for the price, the Q6600 is a darn good deal for a Quad Core.

most are getting 400*8=3.2GHz on the Q6600. Those on good water setup are getting 400*9=3.6GHz. As for the mobo, I'd suggest one that supports DDR3 since you'll get the most bang for your buck in terms of future proofing. They say the 680i will support Penryn, but who really knows for sure. Plus, they're saying the 680i will top out below the Penryn's capabilities, limiting you from the max potential of the chip. I got my 680i when they first came out, so I'm happy with my purchase, but if I was looking to buy today, I'd heavily be considering DDR3 and getting preped for Penryn.

Two good reasons not to go DDR3 right now. Good memory is running $500.00 to $600.00 for 2GB and Charmed is doing SLI so the only option she has is the 680i.

Charmed, do yourself a favor. The only board worth considering right now for quad core is the EVGA. If you're concerned about Penryn it will support it.

I dunno man... I'll haveta think about it and look at the EVGA board some I guess, cuz if it's supposed to be able to support the next core (which I probably won't buy for a while) it'll at least be semi future proof although honestly that really doesn't matter to me... I'll do some research about performance between the two at overclocking..

In the mean while, I have happy news on the 3DMark06 front, but that's for another thread ;) LOL

Two good reasons not to go DDR3 right now. Good memory is running $500.00 to $600.00 for 2GB and Charmed is doing SLI so the only option she has is the 680i.

Charmed, do yourself a favor. The only board worth considering right now for quad core is the EVGA. If you're concerned about Penryn it will support it.

Praz, could you elaborate on this?

Well, my hopes of hitting somethin' over 3GHz just got dashed, failed while testing at 3.029GHz @ 1:35:56 :( probably a voltage issue but I really don't wanna give this thing more than 1.55Vs so I guess I'm screwed... no matter, the Quad core runnin' at 3Gs will suit me just fine ;)

Praz, could you elaborate on this?

The only two board that can be known beforehand if they are the new revision is EVGA (A1/T1) and XFX (A+). All other brand will be unknown until the board is in hand. The new revision is a necessity for overclocking quad cores.

The DFI only has one version but is a nightmare to properly set for quads. Especially the GTLs are system specific and the necessary values change as other settings are changed.