Sign in to follow this  
dog2525

Computer Died, no power no boot.

hey guys, i am finally having problems with my computer (2 yrs running great). Last friday i press the button to turn the computer on and nothing happened. When away for the weekend, came back on monday and it turned on. Tuesday morning, again no boot/no power. Reset CMOS and left it for the day. Yesterday i disassembled it and jump started psu and it works ( can rule out PSU). But when connected the the motherboard nothing. The only LED on is the standby power led. I believe that the DRAM power LED should also be on for the computer to start.

Short story: computer does not turn on, I believe its the motherboard. Only standbye power led is on. nothing else. Also i don't have any hardware lying around so can't test the ram, cpu, or motherboard.

No help probably but just because you can jump start the PSU does not rule out a PSU problem. It just means it is not totally dead.

I would unplug every thing that is not required for minimum build. Or just start unplugging one at a time to see if you can isolate a bad part. Reseat everything.

second to last pull your CPU and reseat.

last take everything out and rebuild it outside the case following minimum build. Don't use the static bag just put it on the box.

Good job on the video post.

I have never jumped a psu while connected to the mobo but I think you are doing no more than proving the psu is not dead. The voltages on the rails could still be so far out of range that they are causing problems, but I am no expert. I'm just helping keep your post alive:)

You are still not proving all your other parts are good.

do you have all FOUR power connectors attached to the board??? had to ask.

also, it could be your PS, even though it is on the DFI approved list, it can be taxed with big draw vid cards. in my system, the OCZ 520 adjustable just barely holds on with my x1950xtx.

it could be one of those rare instances that OCZ PS is starting to fail.

and, just as others have said, jumping the PS doesn't prove anything other than the unit is 'alive', it will tell you nothing about ACTUAL volts and amps. the feedback circuit could be reading out of spec, causing the problem you are experiencing. it could also be your MB that is going south.

troublingshooting sucks sometimes.

laterz

i do have all four power connectors in.(been on site since 05). I have this system for almost 3 years and had no problems with it, whats so ever. I talked to a friend who had the same odd problem. he said he fixed it yesterday by a new psu. I think thats its just a connection problem with the psu and mobo.

i do have all four power connectors in.(been on site since 05). I have this system for almost 3 years and had no problems with it, whats so ever. I talked to a friend who had the same odd problem. he said he fixed it yesterday by a new psu. I think thats its just a connection problem with the psu and mobo.

So in the face of clear evidence (sort of) you hold to your unfounded principles ... I love tenacity.:):):)

I had an OCZ 520 do exactly what yours is doing right out of the box, brand spankin' new. It eventually would not even jump start. But have you tried turning off and unplugging the PSU overnight to let it reset. Hard to believe after what you have gone through it has not been unplugged overnight but maybe. Just grasping a few straws.