SATA DVD Drive

carholmes

My cheap old CD/DVD combo drive died and now I'm looking at those sata dvd burners, and I would like a recommendation. Firstly would a sata dvd drive be compatible to my ultra-d? I've seen some newegg reviews saying that the drive doesn't work with their board. Since sata dvd/cd drives are somewhat of a new technology, would it even be worth getting?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106070

this is a 20x burner, the Lite-On SATA burners I have are all 16x (bought them about 3-6 months ago...like about 7 of them in all for myself and customers heh).

Nary a complaint. There hasn't been a single board it hasn't worked properly on. Here's a list of what I remember testing it on (as one of them I purchased became the optical drive at my usual test station, so it got an extreme workout of loading windows a few times a day usually on different boards)

DFI Infinity NF4

DFI Infinity NF4 SLI

DFI LanParty NF4 (all variants, Ultra-D, SLI-D, SLI-DR, NF4-D)

DFI LanParty NF4 Expert (it will work on Venus also, I just never got a Venus)

DFI LanParty NF590 SLI

DFI Infinity Ultra-II AM2

DFI Infinity CFX3200 (both the socket 939 and Socket AM2 boards)

DFI LanParty ICFX3200 (Intel ATI Core2)

(I could make the list much bigger but you get the idea)

I can't say they are perfect for you, so others hopefully will suggest something else for some balance. I'll just say these have all worked 100% in every configuration and I've never had a customer call me about one that I've put in their rig.