Sign in to follow this  
cheapskate ocer

Just got 8800gts xxx not impressed

Overclocking the video card and seeing minor results is to be expected. There isn't enough processor there to keep the card fed with data at stock clocks.

The performance in games will probably cheer you up some.

test it out on real games that you've played on your previous card...I'll bet you aren't disappointed at all (benchmarks are benchmarks but have very little correlation to how a real game will play these days. Benchmarks are good for comparing to other benchmarks, but poor in comparing benchmark to a real game, where your 8800 will definitely shine regardless of what cpu you have)

i just got xfx 8800gts 320mb, the 06 bench scores almost 11.000 points. wow. it even runs on 1280x1024 while i only got about 5000 ish points using geforce 7800gtx at 1024x768.

im impressed with the card. thanks to angry_games for making up my mind.

i just got xfx 8800gts 320mb, the 06 bench scores almost 11.000 points. wow. it even runs on 1280x1024 while i only got about 5000 ish points using geforce 7800gtx at 1024x768.

im impressed with the card.

YOU SUCK....J/K....but not really

Id recommends around 500 mb. video ram for Q4 on ultra settings. Will the 8800GTS be able to do ultra settings on Q4 even though it has only 320 mb.? I'm thinking not.

i dont know. but my 320mb gts can handle doom 3 with ultra settings at 1280x1024 just fine..

cheapskate_ocer: upgrade to core 2 duo and u cant be happier.

I dont want to upgrade my entire pc for awhile..i have been eyeballing some 939 x2 chips though

there's no reason to get a Core2 for gaming as it won't make much difference (games utilize the gpu more than anything now)

a 4400+, a 165 Opteron, heck even a 3800+ dual core is a good choice.

your 320MB 8800 will work just fine with Quake but the Ultra settings might be a bit too much (depends on your monitor resolution)

there's no reason to get a Core2 for gaming as it won't make much difference (games utilize the gpu more than anything now)

a 4400+, a 165 Opteron, heck even a 3800+ dual core is a good choice.

your 320MB 8800 will work just fine with Quake but the Ultra settings might be a bit too much (depends on your monitor resolution)

Agreed, too many people here worry more about benchmarks than the games you play, at the end of the day when you’re immersed in the game you don't get time to notice how wonderful the graphics look, but that could just be me of coarse, what ever your upgrade is it should be for the better right, and benchmarks don’t always show it, when I changed from an 1900XT to the 8800GTS and run a benchmark, I was not that impressed, in fact was gutted that I paid all that money just for a few hundred points more, but in real games it was a much more rewarding!