Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme on Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D? Will it fit?

Hi all, i'm considering to buy Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for my DFI Lanparty nf4 ultra-d. I read some reviews and I'm ready to buy it but will the big guy fit into my motherboard.

Checked the Thermalright website, the motherboard compatibility list shows that it doesnt support the ultra-d. Some ppl here are using the tuniq so I was wondering that the ultra 120 would fit without the video card and stuffs getting in the way.. help needed!

Here's the link to the compatibility list: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/Ultra-120-MCL.htm

EDIT: Temperature not dropping...

Yes, I did get the K8 backplate, it was quite hard to get it in Australia tho.. lots of shop ran out of stock, got mine from Nintek.

I just got the backplate this afternoon and went on installing the heatsink, wasn't hard to get it installed. I am now monitoring the temps but there aren't much improvement... i dunno why maybe i did smth wrong?

It was running around high 50C when load before the heatsink was installed. After installation, the temps were quite low, it was around 25C, then gradually increased to 40-45C idle. On load with the heatsink is around 50C's as well...

Using the thermal paste given from Thermalright box and followed the method showed in this forum, just a small dab on the core... Why reviews show such significant drops but mine doesn't T_T.

Maybe I should reapply the thermal paste and see what I can do.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drteming
It fits, I have a ultra-d w/ the TR Ultra 120X. It clears the video card by less than an inch

Were you able to use the stock plastic cpu backplate or did you have to use a metal one as shown in the installation guide from Thermalright?

Guest navinjohnson

Must use the metal one. I just got the 120A and only ordered the 939 bolt-through kit. The metal mounting backplate is necessary because its screw holes extend upward to meet the screws. The plastic one remains flush with the board.

Must use the metal one. I just got the 120A and only ordered the 939 bolt-through kit. The metal mounting backplate is necessary because its screw holes extend upward to meet the screws. The plastic one remains flush with the board.

When I looked for the backplate I found a couple and did not know which to order. Also It seemed a new plate may be included with it now. I have it but have not looked at it. How do I know. I will be using it on Ultra D or DS3.

Yes, I did get the K8 backplate, it was quite hard to get it in Australia tho.. lots of shop ran out of stock, got mine from Nintek.

I just got the backplate this afternoon and went on installing the heatsink, wasn't hard to get it installed. I am now monitoring the temps but there aren't much improvement... i dunno why maybe i did smth wrong?

It was running around high 50C when load before the heatsink was installed. After installation, the temps were quite low, it was around 25C, then gradually increased to 40-45C idle. On load with the heatsink is around 50C's as well...

Using the thermal paste given from Thermalright box and followed the method showed in this forum, just a small dab on the core... Why reviews show such significant drops but mine doesn't T_T.

Drives you crazy doesn't it. If you can get Arctic 5 do so. It really does work better. Check if your CPU HS is flat and if the 120 bottom is flat. I'm not anal about it but if something is really off it will make a difference. Standard recommendation.

When I bought mine from SVC I had them throw in a lap kit because of all the complaints on the bottoms of the 120. I've never lapped anything but have a mild interest and thought it would be fun ... still in it's little plastic bag.:)

As Schoolslave said, just remounting can make a huge difference sometimes.

But hey it's 5C so not a complete loss and you probably will get it better with some work.

I'm looking at my HR-05 SLI right now in total disappointment and thinking I need to reapply. Maybe my soon arriving fan will change my mind.:confused:

Edit: Hung the quiet (expensive) little Silenx 80 9dBA 20cfm fan on it with twisty ties and it dropped from 45-46C idle to 35-36C idle. I'm happy.