Data recovery solutions?

General Septem

sadly, if both drives PCB doesn't have the same firmware, it is a very real possibility that it may not work. also, once you expose the drive internals its usually only a short matter of time before it dies anyway.

BTW, what drive brand is it? if the motor that spins the platters is shot then a new PCB wont do anything. another thing to think about, take off the PCB and look for any kind of dust or iron filings on any of the PCB components, i had 2 WD800JB's go because moving them from 3 different rigs wore down the threads and filings ended up frying both drives PCB. also, i have seen alot of the school's acer computers have the PSUs fry the HDD (AcerPower 4300), we ended up replacing all the HDD and PSU in one with dead HDD and PSUs in the others (which all used deer PSUs BTW). what im trying to get at, make sure your PSU is ok.

OMG I know that feeling... One drive of mine, with about 80GB of data, mostly schoolwork, bit the dust at the hands of a deadly disease called Butterus Fingerus... yes... I dropped it while putting my rig back together after a mod... I felt sick.... but WD replaced the drive no questions asked!

The new drive arrived today, and I swapped the circuit boards out. With the new board in, it did spin up, for a few seconds. Then it made a click-click-click-click and then restarted itself, repeating the click-click-click process. I found it interesting that the new board made it spin up but still did not work. For a comparison, the original board did not even spin up. I think there was a short, or perhaps the scratches on the board caused it to fail.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm a little nervous about opening the drives up.

I left it in for about 20-30 minutes and then plugged the power in again. It might have done something, it's hard to tell. I'm not sure if it's restarting itself or not now. It spins up normally for a few seconds, and then I hear a few small clicks, followed by a larger clank, followed by a series of small clicks again. I don't think the drive stops spinning.

Could differing firmware in the drives be causing this problem?

I doubt it's the firmware. I am not sure, but I would think that it would take about an hour or so before the drive would get cold enough. If that don't work you might be SOL without paying a professional data recovery company.

The drive they sent me was indeed a different revision. The drive I had, and subsequently ordered, was a WD1200JD-00HBB0, and I made sure from the pictures on the auction that the drive was the exact same drive as the one I had. However, the one they sent was a WD1200JD-22HBB0. I have to assume that this is the reason why the replacement PCB could not access the drive heads correctly. The circuit boards are the same, but the chips (particularly the big WD chip) are not.

I've asked them to replace the drive they sent me with the drive I actually ordered. Fortunately, I have enough evidence and legal knowledge to give them hell if they try and jerk me around.

OMG I know that feeling... One drive of mine, with about 80GB of data, mostly schoolwork, bit the dust at the hands of a deadly disease called Butterus Fingerus... yes... I dropped it while putting my rig back together after a mod... I felt sick.... but WD replaced the drive no questions asked!

HAHAHA!!! Thats awesome man. My dad did the same thing when I came home one time for a visit. He ordered 2 WD 320's and they were rolled up in bubble wrap (you know how newegg does em) and he cut the tape that held the bubble wrap together. Only he held on to the wrong end. There they went spinning seemingly in slow motion while the bubble wrap unraveled and the HDD's met their inevitable doom of a cold cement floored funeral.