monitor question

catkicker

i take it that it's a good one?

I found my first dead pixel today (pretty great I've had these 2 Viewsonic VA1912wb's for almost a year), a dead red one right in the middle of the screen.

doesn't bother me. A few more though and I'll be a bit upset lol.

Hey there guys, not to jack the thread or anything but I have a question along the same lines as here. I got myself an 8800GTX and have the Samsung 225BW 22" LCD. I just sold my 8800GTS to Thraxz and have a bit of funds, and been thinking of using the money for a bigger widescreen like a 24". Its only for gaming with my C2D, should I go ahead and get a bigger monitor? And if som, which one, been leaning mainly on the Samsungs but any suggestion will be appreciated.:)

Behardware does some great in-depth monitor reviews. Here are 2 reviews that they did. The first is a roundup of nine 22" monitors. The second is a roundup of thirteen 20" monitors.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/662-1/2...ond-coming.html

http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-1/u...-6-8-16-ms.html

At first glance a 22" monitor might look good but remember that a 20" with the same resolution (1680X1050) is going to have a smaller pixel pitch and therefore a sharper image. Remember though, the most important thing to consider is viewing distance. Most 22" monitors consist of TN panels from Samsung. These panels are the cheapest around and you get what you pay for. They have the lowest response times but have the weakest viewing angles and color reproduction. You might want to note however that a response time is not the statistic you want to base your purchase on. Many companies measure response times differently so you cannot accurately judge by what they market. Also, different panel technologies handle response times from one type to the next differently. An example would be a P-MVA panel at 8ms outperforming a S-PVA panel at 6ms. Do not purchase based on the market response time. Instead you should be looking for what is called "input lag". This is the most important factor when considering a monitor purchase for gaming. If you want a good overall monitor for color reproduction, viewing angles, response times and input lag then look for a P-MVA panel.

In the 20" roundup the Viewsonic panels with P-MVA panels win by a long shot in all categories. The Viewsonic 2025wm is the monitor I currently own and is the runner up in that roundup next to the other Viewsonic panel. The other one was a bit better because I believe it had more input options but also much more expensive. They both use the same P-MVA panel. These panels are probably the best 20" widescreen LCD's you can find and I highly suggest you look around for one. The 2025wm was discontinued unfortunately but you can still find it online some places. Be aware that Viewsonic released its successor the 2035wm but they chose to use the cheapo TN panel in that one. Yuck.

I will be putting my Viewsonic 2025wm up for sale next week because I am going 24" 1920X1200. Free shipping in Canada. Just thought I would let you know. This panel has absolutely no dead or stuck pixels and is less than a year old. I am a heavy gamer so all my panels are purchased accordingly.

Speaking of 24" screens. The Dell is a popular choice but as a gaming panel you might want to overlook it. If you do decide to go for a 24" panel then you'll want to look at the LG L245WP. Of all 24" monitors it has the least input lag of them all. It is the monitor I have ordered after doing extensive research for weeks. Did the same thing with my Viewsonic:). Here is a VERY NICE review that a guy took the time to do comparing 3 different 24" panels: http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm. These are the 3 big boys of the 24" realm and I'd explain the results but I'll let you view for yourself. Note that the LG he shows in the review is titled LG L246WP opposed to LG L245WP. The LG L246WP is the big box store version and they named it differently so people couldn't price match it with units you would find online for cheaper (LG L245WP). They are both the EXACT same unit. The LG also uses an enhanced P-MVA panel. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...idescreen%2bLCD

If you feel like spending your cash then there is a 26" monitor which Planar released called the PX2611W. It uses a top of the line H-IPS panel which is used by imaging and video professionals etc. Until this point the IPS panels have had the very best color reproduction but still lacked low input lag and good response times. This monitor brings the great image quality of the IPS panels and introduces with it outstanding response times and input lag. This monitor can be found for $999 on Newegg so it isn't cheap. Unless you have money to burn then don't worry about it. The performance gain is small but ATM it is the best of the best of the widescreen LCD's for gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...Tpk=planar%2b26

Hey thanks for the tips. I think I'll settle for a 24". I sit about 20" from the monitor when gaming, and on top of that, I still have a 22" WS and a 20" and the wife will not be happy about another one but since I got rid of other components this purchase will be justified.

Hey thanks for the tips. I think I'll settle for a 24". I sit about 20" from the monitor when gaming, and on top of that, I still have a 22" WS and a 20" and the wife will not be happy about another one but since I got rid of other components this purchase will be justified.

No prob. Try hooking yourself up with that LG. It's the best thing you'll find at 24" for gaming. Oh I forgot to mention that it uses a P-MVA panel as well. I'll edit my first post and add that in.

i take it that it's a good one?

I found my first dead pixel today (pretty great I've had these 2 Viewsonic VA1912wb's for almost a year), a dead red one right in the middle of the screen.

doesn't bother me. A few more though and I'll be a bit upset lol.

Yes it's a good one. After messing with nvidia control panel and monitor settings over a period of a couple of days I have it looking great. The Diamondtron has been retired to the garage.

In theory anything from 16ms down should be fine for gaming but in practice you'll probably find that a max of 12ms is more realistic.

I agree with you, I am thinking about to buy a new one for my daughter.