Sign in to follow this  
ultimus666

Should I upgrade?

Lately I've been thinking maybe I should upgrade. My computer is a couple years old and I'm starting to feel it's about time. I was thinking of selling my current setup and getting an Evga 680I mobo, one of the new Intel E6750 cpus coming out in a week or so, 2GB of some good DDR2 RAM, an 8800 GTX and maybe a Creative X-Fi, etc etc. Would that be a good idea?

Also, if I were to sell my setup (in sig) how much do you think I should price it at? I'd love some suggestions as I'm not too sure myself what it would be worth anymore. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

If money isnt an option then the C2D setup you suggested would blow your socks off, and if you only upgrade every couple of years then it would certainly last at least 2 without breaking a sweat.

You could overhaul your current system and bring it up to spec as the 4400 is still an awesome CPU. An 8800 and 2Gb of good RAM would bring it right upto compeating with the best of them. You would need a top end PSU for the 8800 though with plenty of amps for the 12v rail, I think above 30Amps per 12v would be the minimum, maybe even more. Its a power hungry beast I hear, id go OCZ personally, im amazed by my PSU its as solid as a rock

For how much to sell your current parts for, I would do a shopping cart at newegg.com with all your components and for every year you have had them I would drop the price by about 15-20%. You could probably get a little more on ebay but anyone who knows anything about PC's knows newegg is cheaper plus you get a warranty so you would have to beat the egg for an honest price.

Or just keep it and use it for those long tasks like decoding, encoding or file storage on a network.

Guest Lavell

Unless you got money to blow away, I see no reason to overhaul your entire system. Socket 939 is still an excellent platform for today's gaming. However, I would recommend upgrading the RAM and the video card.

Bring the RAM up to 2GB. As far as the video card, either get another identical one to your current one and run SLI or upgrade to a DirectX 10 card. If you do decide to upgrade to a DirectX 10 video card, you will need to spend more money on a new PSU to power it.

Wouldn't his current PSU be good enough? I don't know what voltages it has on the rails but it has plenty of wattage for an 8800GTX.

Hmmm, so...should I hold off on the full system upgrade or just go for it? I've also been eyeing the Azuntech X-Fi Prelude, looks like it'll be a nice sound card.

The value on Newegg new is roughly $1,130 USD.

Guest Lavell

Only your budget can answer this question. If I were in your shoes, I would hold off on the full system overhaul. I would save some money and make only the recommended upgrades.

Hmmm, so...should I hold off on the full system upgrade or just go for it? I've also been eyeing the Azuntech X-Fi Prelude, looks like it'll be a nice sound card.

The value on Newegg new is roughly $1,130 USD.

The inter-changeable op-amps is an interesting concept.[on the X-Fi card] Somehow I don't really see it making that much of a difference. If the I/O jacks where 1/4" balanced or XLR, maybe, but on 1/8" unbalanced mini jacks. Not likely worth the money.

Lately I've been thinking maybe I should upgrade. My computer is a couple years old and I'm starting to feel it's about time. I was thinking of selling my current setup and getting an Evga 680I mobo, one of the new Intel E6750 cpus coming out in a week or so, 2GB of some good DDR2 RAM, an 8800 GTX and maybe a Creative X-Fi, etc etc. Would that be a good idea?

Also, if I were to sell my setup (in sig) how much do you think I should price it at? I'd love some suggestions as I'm not too sure myself what it would be worth anymore. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

if you are mainly wanting a good gaming rig, just keep what you have but get a 2x1GB kit of DDR1 and an 8800GTS 320MB (best bang for the buck)

unless you have a monitor that does 1920x1200 (24" widescreen) or higher. Then you want a GTX. Anything lower than that (1600x1200/1680x1050 widescreen) an 8800GTS 320MB is all you need (for now ;) )

If I could get an EVGA Nforce 680I mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 and 2GB of PC6400 or 8500 RAM for about $600 CDN...should I do it? I can afford it. Would I see a big increase?

Also, I've just placed an order for an 8800 GTX and it shipped today, and then the site I ordered from had the Ultra model go on sale for only $30 more! Should I send the GTX back when I get it and exchange it? I'm guessing yes but could just use some confirmation. Also, the EVGA says the Ultra needs a mininum 500W with a combined +12V rating of 34A (my PSU is 600W with a combined +12V of 36A) so I should be fine for power right?

Finally, if I were to do that upgrade (mobo, cpu, RAM), should I get PC6400 or 8500? I'm not sure which to get and why one or the other would be better. Also any suggestions of 2x1GB sets I should get would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Sign in to follow this