Sign in to follow this  
brando56894

Is It Impossible To Have More Then 1 Partition?

i just bought a 2gb sandisk cruzer micro and figured I would split it into 2 partitions. one that would be hidden and would be for recovery software and one for normal storage/portable apps. I used Acronis disk suite to resize the initial partition and then create the other partiton and all went well. the problem is that windows will only mount one of the two partitions (the initial one). when i try to register a drive letter to it (one thats not already in use obviously) it says "the operation did not complete successfully because the partition or volume is not enabled. to enable the partition or volume, restart the computer" i did restart the computer and that didnt fix anything.

im running xp pro and both partitions are FAT16.

would it just be easier to make it one partiton, make it bootable and then write protect the boot/recovery files?

try FAT32, if that dont work then just reset things to the way they were as partitioning may not work on removable drives in the same way it does for fixed disk drives because of the different policies for each type.

It will work fine to have multiple partitions on a single drive. You shouldn't have to worry about permissions unless you use NTFS for your file system. But keep in mind you will have to reformat the drive, so back up all your important data and configure your partitions as you would a regular HDD in your computer management MMC.