CPU seems to be idling high

Well after tidying up the cables inside my case and removing my 3.5" floppy drive and tucking away some wires in there the temperature of my CPU seems to have dropped to 33-36C while idle. I hadn't realized it would make such a big difference, I'm very happy.

Down firing heatsinks like the one you have rely on only the very best airflow. Anything less and they quickly lose their edge in cooling. You might want to consider redoing all your cables just to make sure your getting enough intake as well as exhaust. You might also want to make sure your heatsink is installed properly. Many heatsinks have uneven bases so you might want to put your heatsink on a flat surface to make sure it is perfectly flat. If not then you can lap it and even if it is fairly flat lapping wouldn't hurt. Use some AS5 to reinstall the heatsink by simply putting a pea size amount right in the middle of the CPU and install the heatsink. Let the heat and pressure even out the AS5 nicely for you.

If it is 17C outside and you have the windows open then your components have no business being that hot at idle.

Haha, the permafrost has something to do with it I think.

Yes rice size. Pea size? What was thinking? I just had to unload a bunch of shelving out of an old and huge Canadian Tire store. Took me all night.. must be tired lol. I've never used that much so please don't do so because I don't want to be responsible for your you frying your mobo and CPU! I think what I was trying to say is just use a small amount.

The electricity is getting confused about which wire path to take. LOL

Maybe reseat your HSF and use some A5?

Did the temps just start getting this high or did you not check before?

Do they drop when you take the cover off?

hehe